Sweet corn ready?

• 48 Replies

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
Sweet corn ready?
« on: July 24, 2014, 20:54 »
 ???
Not sure if aNy of my sweet corn are ready.
First time growing them.
They are about 5 foot tall, the tallest on the allotment my far.
Think I planted them a little early, but they've obviously settled well.
I can see lots of cobs with all the lovely tufty hairs sprouting out.
But not sure how to tell if they are ready, they look the right kind of size.
Also if they are ready how do I pick them?
Many thanks
Mrswashi

snowdrops

Re: Sweet corn ready?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 21:03 »
Wait until the tufty hairs turn brown & also around that time pull back the leaves around the cob & insert a nail(finger) in to a kernel & they're ready when they exude a milky yellow ish juice :D when ready put a pan of water on to boil,when boiling go to the ready cobs pull them down & off, strip the leaves off as you run back to the pan & plop them in. Then start to salivate in anticipation of the best corn you will ever eat.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 21:04 »
I wouldn't have thought they are ready yet, seems quite early still.

Do you know what variety they are?
My test is to stick my nail into the cob,and if a nice milky type substance comes out then the cob is ready.

Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 22:58 »
One of my plot neighbours was harvesting cobs on Tuesday, so some varieties might be ripe now, especially given the weather we have had
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:45 »
Depends whether they are mini cobs or large sweetcorn.  Minis are picked as soon as the tassels appear, large when they have turned dark brown. 

If you leave the minis too long they are yuk!

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:20 »
Thanks for all your advice. Love yours snowdrops.
They are definitely not minis.
Tufty bits are still yellow.....but can't wait!
Mrswashi

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31 »
I've often read advice to harvest 'when the tassles turn brown', but in my experience it's a good week or two after this happens and well worth stripping down a cob to check before harvest. I've just got to figure out what has been nibbling the tops out of the cobs on our allotment site so that I can put in some defences. Did think about putting socks over each cob, unwashed of course :D That should keep anything and anyone off them :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:40 »
My first-time Incredible are up to 4 weeks earlier than other varieties have been in previous years, although I put that down to the weather (in cold summers they can sulk for weeks and barely grow.)

They all just about have tassels on now but the tallest is only a little over 5', which is nowhere near the 8' they are 'supposed' to grow to, although I'm relieved to see they are also developing silks - some of the plants seem to be developing 3 or 4 which is very promising.....
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 10:16 »
My test is to stick my nail into the cob,and if a nice milky type substance comes out then the cob is ready.

When they are not ready what comes out is a clear liquid. I know that is pedantic!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28 »
My first-time Incredible are up to 4 weeks earlier than other varieties have been in previous years, although I put that down to the weather (in cold summers they can sulk for weeks and barely grow.)

They all just about have tassels on now but the tallest is only a little over 5', which is nowhere near the 8' they are 'supposed' to grow to, although I'm relieved to see they are also developing silks - some of the plants seem to be developing 3 or 4 which is very promising.....
My Incredible in the greenhouse also have at least three cobs forming; the outside ones have just sprouted tassels so will see how they compare.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

beesrus

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 14:03 »
As with JayG, my sweet corn are well ahead of last year, 3 to 4 weeks. My Sundance silks are just starting to die back on many plants, and as Nobbie says, they will be ripe for picking about a fortnight after the silks have started to dry and shrivel. All manner of other living things on my plot also know this sign. :)

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 15:28 »
Mine "Lark" developed tassels over the last couple of weeks, all the pollen has gone and they are on the turn, I will wait until they have gone a nice brown, and I'm not willing to test until then as once open the corn has lost it's defence from insects getting in.

Photo was 10 days ago...
2014-07-19 (04) Corn.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 15:47 »
If you have patience and a steady hand, using something like a craft knife you can make a slit about half way down the sheath of the cob just big enough to get a 'testing fingernail' in without really damaging it (half way means you will be testing a kernel which will be averagely ripe in the cob.)

Just to add to Salmo's kernel-testing pedantry, if the juice is like thick cream/floury, you are too late/much too late respectively!  :ohmy:   :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 16:08 »
and my usual kill-joy warning to growers new to sweetcorn ...................................................
don't count your growing cobs as eatable corn cobs.

They may not pollinate properly/at all - until you unwrap them and can see them - you won't know if they're edible  ;)

I usually only get one fully edible cob and some half edible ones, from each plant - although they can have grown 3 or 4 cobs. Pollination can be a bit erratic in less than perfect conditions :(

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 16:19 »
Mum

Did I do the right thing by shaking the tops near to the corns either side to assist pollination on a windless day?

I was thinking of cutting off one or two of the tops and going all around the group. Too late to do it now, I'm guessing as there does not appear to be any pollen left on the tops. But If I know I will do it next year.

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
sweet corn

Started by HeNrYhOuNd on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 17:07
by DD.
xx
Sweet Corn Help Please

Started by plot36 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 18:22
by fatbelly
xx
When to sow sweet corn?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 10:05
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 38 queries.