Sweet corn ready?

• 48 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet corn ready?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 16:23 »
Yes you did the right thing - anything to help  ::)

Sometimes in the  morning as the sun dries the pollen, when you shake them you can see a cloud of pollen falling WOW!

A grain of pollen has to land on every strand of the silk in order to get a full corncob.....why did nature make it so difficult  :wacko:

cadalot

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 16:27 »
Great, it was the little clouds of pollen that I was watching fall, and I was trying to get as much coverage on the corns as possible. It's that cloud that I now no longer see when giving them a shake, so I'm assuming the tops  are all pollen free now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 16:28 »
Yep  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 18:36 »
I know this will probably sound a bit 'mad scientist' to some, but having realised that Sheffield summers aren't usually long enough to be certain that staggered sowings will always work in terms of helping to improve overall pollination, I have tried watering and feeding some rows in the block more (or less) than the others in the hope of avoiding them getting to exactly the same stage at the same moment.  :unsure:

(OK, possibly a little bit mad, but reasonably low risk!  :tongue2:  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 22:09 »
Oh dear.
I haven't been shaking! :(
I just assumed (stupidly) that because the cobs were growing that all was well, didn't realise that all might not be.
Am off to lottie before camping tomorrow to give them a little wiggle  :D
TA everyone
Mrswashi

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 07:39 »
Fear not Mrswashi - it's very unusual for there to be no breeze at all, and that's all it takes to shift the pollen from the tassels to the silks on outdoor sweet corn - it's very windy conditions which can cause problems by blowing the pollen clean away, and you can't realistically do much about that (rain isn't helpful either, but not a serious problem unless it rains continuously throughout pollen-shedding time.)

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 08:22 »
Hmmmm I may have the  very windy problem on my site as there is mostly a strong wind that blows right across the plots a lot of the time. I did however put a wall of fleece up around then corn when first planting them so hopefully this will stop too much of the wind blowing across them however I did not know about shaking them to pollinate so I will wait with baited breath to see how many edible cobs I actually get seeing as most of them have 3  on each plant. Tassels are turning a dark brown so hopefully not long now  :D by the way I don't like them all this is for hubby  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 08:29 »
Tassels brown or silks brown?

The tassels are at the top and shed the pollen - the silks on the cobs need to collect it.
If the silks are turning brown then all is well ;)

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 08:34 »
Tassels brown or silks brown?

The tassels are at the top and shed the pollen - the silks on the cobs need to collect it.
If the silks are turning brown then all is well ;)

I apologiese for the mistake  :D it's the silks turning brown not the tassels at the top  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38 »
Fear not Mrswashi, I have grown sweetcorn for the first time here in Bulgaria and we get very little wind in the centre of the country, if we do get any it means we are in the middle of a storm. But not only is this huge maize growing country, but our little block in a village garden is magnificent and we never shake, we don't go near it really as it is out of sight, by a huge hedge, at the end of the garden. It is worth the worry I think, our neighbours gave us some recently thet was inedible, tough and bitter and sticky. Our's is aweet and plump and very tender Yum.

Gryphon

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 13:32 »
Wow, love the photo. I hope that mine turns out as good :)

fatbelly

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 23:06 »
The corn displayed by Tosca shows how much difference good weather makes to Sweet Corn.
In 6 years on my plot only once have I had a really good crop and that year was a lovely Summer.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 04:19 »
Ironically this is the worst summer Bulgaria have had for fifty years, hot and long, yes, but the rain and humidity is something that is alien to them and they have lost 25% of the crops this year. But it is soooo good for our corn. :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 07:46 »
You will send our orange friend JayG green with envy with that picture Tosca  :lol:

A certain sweetcorn crop in Sheffield is watched like a hawk, as orangutans are rather partial to corn you know  ;) 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 08:04 »
 ??? I suppose the next thing is you're going to tell me it's quite unusual for humans to sleep on the patio next to their sweet corn patch to monitor pollination and make sure nothing untoward happens to them?  :ohmy:  :tongue2:  :lol:

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Sweet Corn

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 17:05
by SnooziSuzi
xx
How are your sweet corn doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 18:03
by ghost61
xx
Sweet corn

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 23:55
by corynsboy

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 30 queries.