Drying garlic...

• 10 Replies

Growster...

Drying garlic...
« on: July 21, 2014, 13:26 »
For the first time ever, I've managed to get some garlic going, and I lifted about thirty corms on the week end!

I bought some proper seed corms two years ago. They did nothing, so I replanted the pieces last year, and they also did nothing!

So this year, I didn't even bother to argue with them, or shout at them at all, and planted them outside, where they've grown to a small, but useful size - about the size of a plum!

What I'd like to know please, is how long should they be dried for? We've tried a few pieces, and the flavour is great, and they're very juicy, so that presumably means they need a little more time in the sun!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Drying garlic...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 13:43 »
I lay mine on a shelf in the shed to dry, but do start to use them straight away  ;) L o v e l y   :D

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 14:14 »
I lay mine on a shelf in the shed to dry, but do start to use them straight away  ;) L o v e l y   :D

Thanks Mum, I'll do that, when I can find any space in the shed..! How long do they take please? I don't want to over-do it! after all this hassle, and make them dry out completely! They certainly taste great compared with the bought ones, and even have a bit of a tingle, like you get with home-grown toms instead of bought ones...

If you see what I mean!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 14:58 »
Only til the outside of the cloves goes proper papery then I chop the stalks off - jobs a good'un  :D

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 15:02 »
Only til the outside of the cloves goes proper papery then I chop the stalks off - jobs a good'un  :D

Good stuff, Mum, many thanks!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 18:16 »
Mine are papery on the very outside but they still look and feel damp just below.  ::) they have been drying for four weeks as they were still very damp. Also I am using them now but they are very very mild, did I do anything wrong to make them weak flavoured.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 18:41 »
The leaves on mine were quite shrivelled because of rust, so I chopped off the tops and put them upside down in between the slats on the bench of my potting shed.  After a couple of weeks I have piled them into a net bag and they are hanging in the utility ready to use or replant in autumn.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 18:44 by Annen »
Anne

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 21:55 »
I'd completely run out of space to dry mine, I can't leave them hanging around this year otherwise the dog will either eat or water them. I banged 2 nails into the wall and put some string between them  :)
Castano_2014.jpg

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 22:04 »
I'd completely run out of space to dry mine, I can't leave them hanging around this year otherwise the dog will either eat or water them. I banged 2 nails into the wall and put some string between them  :)

Look like a festive string of fairy lights  :lol: love it

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 22:09 »
I've got a collection of blue stacking trays from the green grocers, the ones that are a sort of mesh sides & bottom
(mushroom?). I lay mine in those end to end with the leaves hanging out. They've been in the shed drying. I do the onions this way too, then I clean them up & store them in the trays until used up.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:48 »
Thank you all - some useful tips here, and I'm pleased to see that others have got their crops in a safe place too!

I think we'll have trouble keeping ours for very long - Mrs Growster is already using them up thick and fast..;0)

There will be a few tiddlers for planting next year too, so that's a battle well worth waiting for!

xx
DRYING GARLIC

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 21:32
by Elcie
xx
Drying garlic

Started by tillyt on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 10:17
by compostqueen
xx
Drying Onions and Garlic in the Greenhouse

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:11
by gavinjconway
xx
Garlic leaves covered in rust -- cut or leave when drying?

Started by over-grown on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 16:43
by Greengirl

Page created in 1.504 seconds with 30 queries.