Onion White Rot, Can The Bulbs Be Saved?

• 11 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Onion White Rot, Can The Bulbs Be Saved?
« on: July 18, 2014, 23:51 »
I pulled up my onions today and found that about 20% of my onions had signs of this disease, some had only a very small visible patch around the roots others were more badly affected, one of the 'old boys' at the allotment told me that if the onions were only lightly affected the outer skins could be stripped off, taking away the affected area and the onion could be saved, anyone heard of this?

I have given it a try and hung them upside down to dry making sure that none of them are touching each other so the infection does not spread, as an experiment I also removed the roots off some and washed them under the tap.

I don't hold any great hopes out but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Although the onion beneath the infected area did look healthy and feel solid one thing I would like to check is if the affected onions are safe to eat?

Any further advise with regards to this problem?

Thanks in advance  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Onion White Rot, Can The Bulbs Be Saved?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31 »
They are safe to eat - I always chop and freeze any that have rot on, as I found they don't store.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:55 »
I usually have about 10% of my crop with white rot. We keep these separate from the good ones and use them right away. This year must be a good year as I haven't seen a trace of it so far

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 14:06 »

You have an onion bed similar to one I had 4 years ago, and this year I don't have any rot. I did this:
1. Keep to the same bed each year. If you have 20% then you have got it everywhere.
2. Make the bed 4' wide. You then don't have to walk on it to plant and maintain. You can transfer white rot on your boots. When digging use planks etc. and do not use you own homemade compost. You could be recycling the rot. I prepare a horse manure compost just for the onions.
3. Plant the sets/seedlings about 9" apart. The rot travels from root to root. The onion root fans out from the bulb and 9" should mean the roots don't touch.
4. During the growing season in July check the plants by giving them a tug. If the roots have been attacked they will be weak and the plant will pull out easily. The leaves will brown at the tips. Dig out all the soil I do a cubic spade and refill with clean soil/compost. Mark the spot with a stick, so that the following year you will know where the rot was. Keep checking to stop the rot reseeding itself (called scleroti ?)

1st year I had over 25 bulbs affected, then 13 and last year it was 3. This year the best crop of shallots ever, with no sign of rot. The onions are swelling up nicely. Worth the extra effort.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 18:04 »
Thanks for the very helpful replies, I would agree that the whole site is affected as I had it last year in a totally different spot, I will take notice of the advise given for next years planting.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 20:10 »
Todat i pulled what was left of my onions i had 5 wheelbarrows full of white and red onions  with bosirot all ruined i am gutted,i had a bit of white rot last year but this year its very bad,i know i should not  have planted them there'so ive lost nearly all the crop from 2000 sets  :mad:
diggity dig dig

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 20:13 »
That's bad news!  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 21:17 »

You have an onion bed similar to one I had 4 years ago, and this year I don't have any rot. I did this:
1. Keep to the same bed each year. If you have 20% then you have got it everywhere.
2. Make the bed 4' wide. You then don't have to walk on it to plant and maintain. You can transfer white rot on your boots. When digging use planks etc. and do not use you own homemade compost. You could be recycling the rot. I prepare a horse manure compost just for the onions.
3. Plant the sets/seedlings about 9" apart. The rot travels from root to root. The onion root fans out from the bulb and 9" should mean the roots don't touch.
4. During the growing season in July check the plants by giving them a tug. If the roots have been attacked they will be weak and the plant will pull out easily. The leaves will brown at the tips. Dig out all the soil I do a cubic spade and refill with clean soil/compost. Mark the spot with a stick, so that the following year you will know where the rot was. Keep checking to stop the rot reseeding itself (called scleroti ?)

1st year I had over 25 bulbs affected, then 13 and last year it was 3. This year the best crop of shallots ever, with no sign of rot. The onions are swelling up nicely. Worth the extra effort.

Do you use different tools & boots for that plot as well? I know you say make the bed 4ft wide but you must stand on it at some point, I do my beds 5ft & don't walk on them as a rule but at some points for digging you end up walking on it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:46 »
They are safe to eat - I always chop and freeze any that have rot on, as I found they don't store.

I do this too, as well as towards the end of the storage period when they look as if they're going to start shooting. I have tried chopping them up and just sweating them in oil, and then packing into individual portions and freezing. They defrost just as if they've just been cooked - great for when you don't want the faff of preparing onions for a recipe (or the smell of onions on your hands).

Ivor Backache

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 18:10 »

Do you use different tools & boots for that plot as well? I know you say make the bed 4ft wide but you must stand on it at some point, I do my beds 5ft & don't walk on them as a rule but at some points for digging you end up walking on it.
No but I do wash the spade  with a solution of Jeyes Fluid. When digging I stand on two planks and when I get to the end of the row I move the front plank behind the second plank and carry on digging. I choose 4' to give me 5 rows which is what I need.
However today I found  an onion with white rot. (spoke too soon) White rot does take a long time to eradicate.

beesrus

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 18:53 »
I've had a few white rot moments over the years while crop rotating, and most of my plot has rot here and there, in fact it's history is not good at all.

About 15% of my Autumn sets were affected. Still edible.
This Spring, however, for the first time, I put my Summer onions onto a bed that had a good six inches of cow manure in the early Autumn and I didn't dig it in....... and I have a brilliant crop, and not one sign of rot.... that's a first, and I know there has been rot on that particular bed in the past. So, maybe there is something in the method some recommend of planting onions "above" the problem on top of fresh compost/manure etc., similar to raised beds and also the no dig thing. They say onion roots don't go particularly deep.
I didn't expect such a good crop on top of the manure, but it certainly has got me thinking. Will be doing the same next year as I would hate for my plot to succumb like so many have on our well worn site.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 18:59 by beesrus »

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 20:17 »
Well, you have given me the notion to cover the bed with 6" of horse-muck and plant on that

xx
onion bulbs

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 08:18
by Salmo
xx
my onion 'bulbs'

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 20:22
by gobs
xx
Squirrels and onion bulbs

Started by businessmonkey9 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2020, 14:27
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Leftover Onion Bulbs

Started by isis on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 08:48
by isis

Page created in 0.716 seconds with 30 queries.