Drying garlic

• 32 Replies

tillyt

Drying garlic
« on: July 17, 2013, 22:17 »
Some advice needed please. What is the best way to dry your garlic when lifted? Does it need to be in direct sun or is it better in a cooler shed, laid flat or tied up in bunches? Want to make sure I get it right as it looks to be a good crop this year? Look forward to all your thoughts, thanks

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Drying garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 22:24 »
I usually lift mine and dry indoors (mainly because you can't be guaranteed dry weather, although it might be worth a punt at the moment).  I dry mine in a conservatory, but usually stink the place out!  I am sure that you are better drying them out not in direct sunlight, as it will no doubt reduce the pungency, but I have little option.

I always try to plait mine both to store and to allow them to dry out fully.  You really need the stems to have a little flexibility and not be too fragile to do this.  There are some great videos on Facebook which shows how to do this. Once they are tidied and plaited, I hang them in my utility room.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 00:51 »
It's generally recommended to dry garlic out of the direct sun. Mostly you need to space it a bit so there's good airflow (to avoid mold). Hanging it by clothespins on a line in a shed, garage, or laundry room is ideal. It'll get the ventilation it needs and you can keep an eye on it for any bad spots. Dry until the stems are crispy brown.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:43 »
Sigh, mine are plaited and in the full sun ... Best go and move them. Live and learn! X
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:50 »
https://www.garlicfarm.ca/garlic-harvesting-pospisil.htm

I found this a very informative site.
Bish

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 09:50 »
I've only been growing garlic for 4 years so it's probably true to say I've never tried drying them in the sun!

They're much easier to dry properly than onions and shallots though - I've still got some in quite good condition from last year (in a mesh plastic tray in a dark frost-free cupboard/cubby hole thingy built into the side of the house.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:29 »
I just hang mine in the shed, worked fine last year.  Got about 3 times the amount this year - all going well.
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:10 »
I dry mine in the sunshine (if we're lucky) and when all crispy I tidy them up and make them look nice, then put them into store in a cool place.  Some of mine are sunbathing on the patio along with some onions  :)  It needs to be dry before you put it into storage

tillyt

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 14:27 »
Thanks for all your helpful replies, it is very much appreciated. Always get great advice on this site.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05 »
Why wast the free sunshine we are having. Pull it out, knock the soil clod off the roots and leave it in the sunny bed to dry.. Turn every few days till its well dried than you can move to the shed etc.. See my pic above - mine has been left there to dry.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Ema

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 13:48 »
Just put mine on the wire garden table with the shallots. Once the muds dried off a bit more I'll move them into the shade. I get rats and mice in my garage and in guessing they'd love some garlic so will have to store them in the kitchen

Have you ever seen rust this bad?

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 14:24 »
Why wast the free sunshine we are having.

Although it sounds ideal to dry garlic in the sun, it's not really recommended. Instead, shade drying is recommended to better evenly dry out the garlic rather than 'cooking' it in the sun and minimizing taste and health benefits. A longer, slower drying time is preferred over fast, hot drying.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 20:19 »
Hmmm now I have an interesting one, my garlic is being dried on the bench outside, and it seems today 3 of the hardnecks have sent out significant scapes.... Can't say I expected that.

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 21:27 »
That is very odd. I'd snap them off before the cloves shrivel with the effort.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 21:38 »
I have, you think you've seen everything then theres a new surprise from nature.

xx
DRYING GARLIC

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 21:32
by Elcie
xx
Drying garlic...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 05:48
by Growster...
xx
Drying Onions and Garlic in the Greenhouse

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:11
by gavinjconway
xx
Garlic leaves covered in rust -- cut or leave when drying?

Started by over-grown on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 16:43
by Greengirl

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 38 queries.