stalled chillis

• 13 Replies

catllar

stalled chillis
« on: July 01, 2014, 16:19 »
Title says it all really - they germinated then put up one leaf after the seedling jobbies and have now refused to grow any more. Sitting in individual pots, fresh compost, warm, moist - what more do the darn things want?

Lardman

Re: stalled chillis
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 16:56 »
Which variety are they? How big are the pots and how long have they been sitting there. If they only have 1 true leaf water requirements are going to be really low - how moist are you keeping them?

Totty

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 18:40 »
What compost?

Totty

catllar

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 19:37 »
General seed compost. Watering them every couple of days - gets to about 35 degrees here.  They are Habanero and Lemon Drop.  Any ideas gratefully received - ta!

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 20:23 »
Pull one out of it's pot and look at the roots, that should tell a story given the time it's been in it's a pot. Apart fom the root structure, underperforming seedlings often show a bone dry or sodden lower pot.
If not the compost, it's almost certainly a watering issue. What else could it be, too hot, long term "damping off" sulking ? Some seed composts are hopeless, especially those that appear a tad too woody, or those that hold water too easily.
Habaneros are not the easiest either. I gave up on them years ago, but that was more of a germination issue and me overwatering.
Difficult seeds need proper mixed seed composts.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 20:40 by beesrus »

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 20:44 »
To be honest, if they have only got this far at the beginning of July, there is only a slim chance that you will get chillis from them before the weather becomes too cold.

catllar

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 23:04 »
Hmm, OK- thanks - I'll persevere here for a while. They didn't get started until after Easter and then they all germinated like rockets - guess they've worn themselves out. I'll check all your suggestions. If I can get them moving I'll keep my fingers crossed re the warmth business - it usually stays hot here until well into end October and then they can come undercover - we rarely get real cold until after Christmas and then only in short snaps.

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 09:36 »
I had a problem with chillies this year, first batch of red chillies have grown great, but second batch of green chillies got to first few real leaves and then stalled, I tried repotting in fresh compost, but no improvement and so I binned them in the end. No idea why as I'm sure they were treated the same. Probably for the best though, as six plants is more than enough for me.

rubberfrog

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:11 »
I had a very similar problem early on in the year.  Seeds toke almost 5 weeks to germinate, I was just about to bin them and noticed a few small bulges in the compost.  They grew very very slowly and I thought I was just wasting bench space with them.  Potted them on into a different brand of compost and never look back with them.  Plenty of flowers and even a single chilli developing.  A colleague of mine at work has the same issues as you, seeds germinated and nothing else.  He reckons its the compost as nothing is growing in it. 

Have you had issues in previous years? 

RF

Headgardener22

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 18:28 »
Seed compost or general purpose compost?

I thought that seed compost was only meant for germinating the seed and didn't have much nutrient in it. Once they're germinated you're supposed to move them into multi-purpose compost which has more nutrients in it so that the plant will grow.

However, as AnneB said, it sounds like you're unlikely to get much of a crop, mine are all 18 inches tall with flowers and set fruit (I sowed them in January).

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 22:41 »
My chillies have been a disappointment this year - am growing in the same manner is in previous years - just different compost. So its either the compost or something about the weather...
I've not completely given up hope as some of the plants are now at a reasonable size but there are few flowers so I am expecting a poor harvest. Many of the plants went into a kind of curled up state - not quite the symptoms of lack of water, but somewhat similar. I suspect that there was some nutrient missing that has more or less done for them - maybe calcium  deficiency? No sign of aphids...
Ach well, if everything just grew fine it would be no fun... or something....

Cheers,
Balders

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 06:57 »
I had a similar issue with peppers (King of the North) this year -- germinated within days, looking very good, potted them on, grew one more set of leaves and then just sat there. ... and sat there.... and sat there. Chillies were thriving.

In desperation I bought some plants from the supermarket (California Wonder) which were lush and healthy looking, hardened both lots off and planted them out under a 1m tall cloche.

The supermarket ones continued to grow, but amazingly those King of the north have caught them up and have flower buds on them now even at about 30cm tall.

Conclusion --- it was the compost. And indeed when I thought back they had had the last of a bag I had abandoned last year as useless stuff (should have put it in the dalek but it rained every day) and the other had been potted on in a different brand.

So... try potting them on or even planting them outside where you live, catllar. Nothing to lose really.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

beesrus

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 08:22 »
The seed leaves and one leaf only would suggest the plants did only what the seed itself was programmed to do with the introduction of water, and had no food to do any more.
A few years back I somehow purchased the most outrageously poor compost imaginable, it was all but inert. Absolutely nothing would grow in it past the seed leaves and a dribble.

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 10:02 »
Im convinced there's some bad compost this year. Not just poor compost like normal,  where ½ the bag is plastic / glass and logs but with residual herbicide or something which is actively killing the plants.

Is there any chance of a photo catllar ? Both peppers aren't particularly quick growers but they shouldn't just be sitting there.

xx
Cucumbers stalled

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 11:40
by yorkiegal
clip
Hestia Runners Beans Stalled....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 23:16
by tribs
xx
What to do with my chillis

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:29
by Sadgit
xx
chillis

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 09:43
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 29 queries.