Where are all the cabbage whites?

• 72 Replies

RubyR3d

Re: Where are all the cabbage whites?
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2014, 23:42 »
Sorry but I've got to feel pleased about all these insects and caterpillers making an appearance. It just means more food for hungry baby birds. Sounds like its been a good year ;)

miggs

Cabbage whites.
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2014, 00:36 »
Believe it or not I saw my first "whites" of the season this morning. They where fluttering around my cabbages/broccoli this morning trying to get in and lay eggs. I just stood and laughed at them because they are all under nets this time. Oh how I laughed.  :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:47 by DD. »

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: Cabbage whites.
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2014, 06:11 »
Be careful not to laugh too soon and make sure none of the leaves are touching the net.
Mine were and the bug***s managed to lay eggs through Enviromesh netting onto the leaves that were touching the netting. I didn't think they could do that but I can't think how else we have caterpillars and eggs on our broccoli as the sides are all pinned down and there are no holes in it.  :(

veggiemo

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2014, 07:18 »
Hi,
I saw a couple of whites very early in the year down here in East Sussex but not a single one since then.

No greenfly or blackfly either but I have got whitefly which I don't normally have.

Loads of other butterflies, bees, wasps, hovverflies etc.

And a strange red-winged insect about the size of a thin fly that I've never seen before. It was mainly on my lovage but seems to be everywhere now.

beesrus

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 20:12 »
They've definitely arrived here at last... lots of them, just like any other year now. I'm just glad they took so long to turn up. Most of my vulnerable greens are nearing completion and many have in fact already been consumed  :)
They might still have a pop at my kale and PSB, but they're well and truly netted and easily dealt with. Only the red cabbage and Winter savoys concern me now. It's the cabbage with hearts that can be ruined.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 20:17 by beesrus »

snowdrops

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2014, 22:11 »
I spotted the first cabbage whites of the year on our plots today. I was pleased I'd carefully netted my brassicas.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Cabbage whites.
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00 »
Be careful not to laugh too soon and make sure none of the leaves are touching the net.
Mine were and the bug***s managed to lay eggs through Enviromesh netting onto the leaves that were touching the netting. I didn't think they could do that but I can't think how else we have caterpillars and eggs on our broccoli as the sides are all pinned down and there are no holes in it.  :(
Oh yes - they can lay through the tiniest enviromesh, so long as the leaf is touching  ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2014, 16:07 »
Saw one this morning, INSIDE my enviromesh cage!  >:(  You should have seen me run!  :wacko: :lol:

All leaves checked (for now) and offending items removed...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

veggiemo

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37 »
First wave arrived here yesterday.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48 »
We had a "flock" of them on Saturday morning, caught and killed a couiple that were under the net.   Pity to kill them as they are only doing what comes naturally and in any case if two managed to get in then others will follow.      Other Butterflys appear in very short supply this year haven't noticed many on the Buddlea and it is in full flower.   
Do you really need al that lettuce/

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 12:58 »
Man the enviromesh they're coming in squadrons, enviromeshed the caulis this morning swear I could hear the little bu**ers in the sprouts sniggering at me.
:D I garden therefore I am

Scottish Mike

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 18:33 »
They've been hanging out in my garden for the last week, and are driving me round the bend. The neighbours must love watching me running out into the garden shouting at the whites! Am desperately waiting for the postie to deliver my Enviromesh!

Had some spare, so my swedes seem safe, but my turnips and brussels are being eaten alive (may also be flea beetle.)

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2014, 14:25 »
Yeah, loads of them over the last week. Coming in squadrons now! :ohmy:
Even though I have enviromesh on the PSB they have grown more that I thought and are squashing against the mesh, so I'm concerned they may get through. I do have a few nasturtiums close by which they have laid their eggs on, so hoping this has diverted them a bit.

xx
Cabbage whites

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 17:52
by mumofstig
xx
cabbage whites

Started by waliz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 10:30
by chillimummy
xx
Cabbage Whites

Started by brianbishop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 10:12
by miggs
xx
Cabbage whites?

Started by Earthy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 10:23
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 29 queries.