Chicken was attacked..suspect hawk.

• 5 Replies

EB

Chicken was attacked..suspect hawk.
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:23 »
 :( I found my 9 month aracauna with a 3/4" hole on the top of her head Sunday. Looked like something took a hunk of skin off (that is why we think hawk). Treated it with antiseptic and antibiotic salve.  Looked like it should have been stitched up, but everything I found said leave it open to decrease infection.  She did great the first two days... ate well, drank well.  Then she started getting clear or slightly cloudy stools (lots of this) and today didn't eat at all.  Started drinking a lot of water this afternoon.  I thought she might be egg bound as no egg since the injury.  Tried to examine the lower end but in the process of turning her over, she drooled water out her beak and I presume inhaled some of it... enough she just died right then.   Wondered if the trauma of the attack on her head could make her stop laying...as she should have had eggs in the oviduct forming, that is why I thought egg bound.    It did not seem infected... no puss or bad smell.  Was beginning to scab up some. I feel bad that my attempts to inspect for another potential problem seemed to make the whole situation worse. Has anyone had experience with this type of injury and other consequences not directly related to the injury?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken was attacked..suspect hawk.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:21 »
sorry your hen died, but yes the shock of the attack could have caused her to stop laying.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:33 »
Sorry to here your hen died.
The damage to the top of the head sounds more like hen than hawk , it is a fact that they often attack a poorly hen , i expect that it is to drive it away and protect the rest of the flock.
Their  dinosaur ancestry shows at times like this. :(

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:44 »
So sorry it is always horrible to lose one of your girls. You must not blame yourself there could be any number of causes. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

barley

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 22:37 »
how awful for you xx

we lost a bantam to a buzzard once so it is possible for a bird of prey to attack - you tried your best to help her , nature can be so cruel   :(

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 18:11 »
We suffered goshawk attacks earlier this year - you will know if a hawk is about by the very behaviour of your hens. Mine were all huddled, 2 cockerels and all in their coop and everything was completely silent. they would not come out for hours and were really shellshocked. If your girls were just as normal then it was as 8doubles says, hen not hawk.

We ended up buying a couple of hundred meters worth of strong netting for their enclosure and ever since no problems.

xx
chickens attacked by Harris Hawk

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 14:17
by freebirdy
xx
chicken attacked by fox how to look after her now?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 07:22
by barley
xx
Chicken Attacked

Started by Ftmevam on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 21:29
by karlooben
xx
Chicken attacked

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 09:35
by Foxy

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 29 queries.