Chicken attacked

• 11 Replies

Mrs Mant

Chicken attacked
« on: February 13, 2010, 15:49 »
I have 3 chickens all of whom free range across the 2 fields next door to us.  1 of them has just come home looking sorry for herself.  Upon close inspection it looks like she has been attacked by something.  Quite a few feathers have been ripped out of her side and under her wing.  It has broken the skin (no puncture wounds) but the skin is ripped slightly.  There is no blood but I want to prevent it from becoming infected.  Is there anything I can put on it.  A quick reply would be appreciated as time is pressing before my local horse/outdoor shop closes.

Thanks in advance

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken attacked
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 15:51 »
have you got any purple spray that might help? if not they sell it at horsey places.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mrs Mant

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 16:23 »
Could you please let me know what the purple spray is called? Is it a kind of anticeptic?

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 16:27 »
It's called purple spray   :lol: - it is antiseptic and will disguise any redness (not sure if it has gentian violet in it.

Mrs Mant

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 16:30 »
Thanks very much Joyful.  I will pop and get some.   :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 16:53 »
I hope you've managed to find some by now ... gentian violet will do the same job - the horsey place will stock one or the other.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

janet12000

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 18:17 »
When my chooks got attacked I was advised to put germolene on the wounds. It worked very well. Good luck. xxx

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 20:41 »
Yep  I agree germolene  or savlon will be fine. Keep a close eye on the wound for evidence of redness or heat.
I would also be very careful when they are free-ranging in case her injuries are the result of  a close call with a fox

Mrs Mant

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 15:12 »
Thanks for all of your replies.  Chooks haven't wondered too far today.  I wasn't able to get purple spray in time to use yesterday evening...but got some and used it first thing this morning.  The skin looks better this morning and there is no sign of redness.  My OH and I did wonder if she perhaps got caught in barbed wire fencing and had to lose feathers to get herself clear - I would think a fox attack would have been unlikely due to the nature of the 'injury...surely the fox would have finished the job off (and there are no puncture wounds).  More likely to be  dog...?  We will never know 

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 15:19 »
the chances are a dog would have done the same as a fox. If there is some barbed wire and she didn't see it or if she was running away from something then yes the barbed wire could have done it. Keep a close eye on her just to make sure no infection sets in, but it sounds like she will be ok  :)

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:42 »
If you are going to use an antiseptic cream it is a good idea to wash any wound first and a mild solution of salt water is a good idea. Otherwise you can seal in the germs. Vets and hospitals wash wounds with salt water and I know my vet recommends it before using expensive chemicals. It's something we all have available and is cheap.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:35 »
If you are going to use an antiseptic cream it is a good idea to wash any wound first and a mild solution of salt water is a good idea. Otherwise you can seal in the germs. Vets and hospitals wash wounds with salt water and I know my vet recommends it before using expensive chemicals. It's something we all have available and is cheap.

Absolutely  Sassy! Good spot, I should have mentioned cleansing the wound first with saline (tepid salty water)
Also, purple spray is quite strong containing Chlorohexidine, if you have Savlon or Germolene that will be fine.

sad
one chicken keeps getting attacked by the others.

Started by kerrie77 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 14:02
by ANHBUC
xx
chicken attacked by fox how to look after her now?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 07:22
by barley
xx
Chicken Attacked

Started by Ftmevam on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 21:29
by karlooben
xx
Chicken Attacked - Advice please

Started by RobH on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 08:04
by Sassy

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 37 queries.