Potato question...

• 3 Replies

snooziebunny

Potato question...
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:56 »
I had some really lovely spuds from the supermarket - the couple left have sprouted in my veg rack - can I plant these? Or does it have to be a certain type of potato to plant? Thankyou.
Sarah xx

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato question...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:15 »
2 thoughts - given your location there is probably still time to get a crop, although it will also depend on the variety. The trouble is the later you plant spuds the more likely it is they will succumb to blight, and this year doesn't look likely to be a low risk one at the moment.  :unsure:

The other consideration is that although the spuds may look healthy, they will have been sprayed to within an inch of their lives to control diseases and pests - there is no way of knowing whether you could be introducing something you really don't want to your plot, which is why it's usually advised to only plant certified seed potatoes (and even they're not guaranteed to be disease-free.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snooziebunny

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:34 »
Thanks JayG, maybe I'll put them in a bag then? Can't hurt then right?
Oh and what diseases should I be looking out for with spuds? Thanks again.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 10:47 »
Growing in a bag would solve the problem of potentially transferring diseases to your plot soil (as long as you don't tip the used compost onto next year's spud patch!) although it won't reduce the chances of catching blight, which is spread by airborne spores.

If they grow well and look healthy, they probably are healthy - there are so many potential spud diseases it's probably best to look at it that way rather than frighten yourself to death 'gurgling' the subject beforehand!

xx
Another potato question

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 07:34
by chris23005
xx
Potato question

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 19:30
by evie2
xx
Potato Question

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 21:58
by Brambles
xx
Another potato question

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 16:12
by ghost61

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 37 queries.