First tomato side shoots

• 19 Replies

Headgardener22

Re: First tomato side shoots
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 14:32 »
Marmande is described as Semi-Determinate.

What I think this means is that it generates a lot of sideshoots and doesn't grow very tall. Unlike a Determinate variety, the flowers appear over a period of time and the fruit ripen over a longish time. In general, the fruit of Determinate varieties all ripen within a period of a couple of weeks which is why they are preferred by outdoor commercial tomato growers who use machinery to harvest the tomatoes.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 16:55 »
Interesting comments, HG and JayG!

I've been pinching out the side-shoots up to now, and notice that the last one I took off, was pretty thick!

I think I'll leave the others from now on, hoping for some future sort of bush arrangement - the second truss is forming already so a week's wait is in store, methinks!

Dealing with these heritage varieties is a joy - once you think you know what you're doing - which I don't at this stage in the year with these chaps!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 17:12 »
Interesting comments about Marmande. I am growing this for the first time this year and have three inside as cordons (so far, as I have kept a careful eye on them) and three for outdoors, where they will be allowed to "bush" if that is what they want.

The trusses on the cordons will be supported just fine, but I am a bit unsure about the ones on the "bushes". I think I shall have to add in extra canes here and there to avoid trusses dragging down onto the ground, as far as I can see. I have assumed large, heavy trusses of fruit of course  ;)

Any other suggestions are most welcome thank you
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 17:28 »
Interesting comments about Marmande. I am growing this for the first time this year and have three inside as cordons (so far, as I have kept a careful eye on them) and three for outdoors, where they will be allowed to "bush" if that is what they want.

The trusses on the cordons will be supported just fine, but I am a bit unsure about the ones on the "bushes". I think I shall have to add in extra canes here and there to avoid trusses dragging down onto the ground, as far as I can see. I have assumed large, heavy trusses of fruit of course  ;)

Any other suggestions are most welcome thank you

Some of our Marmande seem to be just stopping after the first or second truss, KC, so I'm really not sure what is going on..;0) They are on strings though.

The flowers are forming, and I bet we're in for a surprise, but these 'new' plants are a challenge well worth considering, especially as we'll keep some seed for next year as well, if they really are as good as they say!

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 17:38 »
This is such an interesting subject, I 'had' to Gurgle it, and this fine lady explains all - apparently!

TtBEL70I2tQ

xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 11:17
by dereklane
xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 23:47
by gillybee
xx
Growing Tomato side shoots

Started by DoubleDigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 14:29
by Gliitergirl
xx
Tomato suckers/side shoots

Started by colinsmith on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 12:49
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.59 seconds with 28 queries.