Growing Tomato side shoots

• 5 Replies

DoubleDigger

Growing Tomato side shoots
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:28 »
I was wondering how many folk grow Tomatoes from side-shoots ?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Growing Tomato side shoots
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 13:34 »
I tried it once, but as I always have too many tomato plants, I never feel the need to plant the side shoots too!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 13:55 »
I'm trying this year, not done it before though so won't be able to share the full experience until later in the summer :)

DoubleDigger

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 14:08 »
I wondered mainly because having read about folks struggling to find some of the varieties they want, I would imagine that with a bit of guile, you could "post" side shoots around the country for each other to try. Packed in a 'sandwich bag' with a some moist tissue & some 'air', I reckon they'd stay fresh enough for an 'early' post.

I do it so I can reduce the number of mature plants I am having to maintain without special conditions through late winter & the spring indoors.  I also do it so I can 'scrap' older plants as they get tired & have late plants in full production into November / December back in the Conservatory - if the season is kind.  But I only grow a couple of varieties which I know suit us, our conditions & the 'menu's we serve up at home, so I don't go in for dozens of types.

As for growing them, they root very easily & I find they can produce better than the parent plant....first trusses come much lower down the 'stem' & are often heavier with flowers & 'fruit'.  I did once read that they can be in fruit quicker than the 'parent' plant, but I have never tested that theory.   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 14:13 »
I do  ;)

I've had a few give up the ghost because of the weather so rooted some to take their place :)

Gliitergirl

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 14:29 »
I've tried it for the first time this year, and it seems to be working well. I've lost 1 plant from 12, which isn't too bad. They've all grown large enough to be transplanted into grow bags/large pots, so we''ll see what they produce in a few  months time!

xx
First tomato side shoots

Started by Turnba on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 17:38
by Growster...
xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 23:47
by gillybee
xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 11:17
by dereklane
xx
Beefsteak tomato side shoots

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 23:06
by muntjac

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 32 queries.