Thick asparagus spears.

• 17 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Thick asparagus spears.
« on: May 09, 2014, 22:04 »
Had a few asparagus on the go since 2008, never been that happy with it, the spears grow curled, deformed or really thick like tree trunks the ones that came home tonight are as thick as a broom handle.  ??? What am I doing wrong and should wr just give up.

RaptorUK

Re: Thick asparagus spears.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 23:04 »
Had a few asparagus on the go since 2008, never been that happy with it, the spears grow curled, deformed or really thick like tree trunks the ones that came home tonight are as thick as a broom handle.  ??? What am I doing wrong and should wr just give up.

What do they taste like ?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:22 »
Curled or deformed asparagus is due either to insect damage or harvesting methods. The former is usually asparagus beetle damage. They resemble ladybirds but are a bit different, and should be gotten rid of. The latter happens when you cut and damage the next stalk while harvesting another. The nicked side curls at the damage point and is not as attractive.

thick stalks, usually the sign of a mature plant, can also be dry and tough if the plant struggled for regular moisture or nutrients, or even struggled in weeds.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:54 »
Not a weed in sight so its not that, cant see others being damaged when cut, they just look woody, could be water I suppose.  ??? No sign of bugs etc will have a talk to them and get the spy glass out see if florence can spot any bugs.  ;)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:40 »
Mine are link that BQ. I know there's a terrible problem here with asparagus beetle, you can see the larvae on the ferms later in the season (I've posted a picture at some point) but I've never actually seen a beetle. 

If you have a look on the outside edge of the bend spear can you see any damage ? Slugs also have a nibble now and then.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:16 »
Not that I can see and no bugs but I am getting mad with asparagus and may well just call it an end as its never been fab

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:28 »
Never seen an asparagus beetle, or any larvae on mine, but I do get the occasional deformed spear, which I usually blame on slugs (see plenty of them!) and last year some were bitten straight through and left on the ground (could be a self-harvesting variety but more likely fox cubs methinks!)

As for thick spears, they're not necessarily inedible - hold at top and bottom to snap them to find out where the woody part (hopefully) finishes. You may have to peel them too although that isn't usually necessary.

Must admit that 'broom handle thickness' sounds pretty extreme though - maybe it is a water/feed issue causing them to grow too slowly. Are they all like that from all the plants?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:30 »
Only got two plants but yes both the same. Will take a pic next to a handle next time. Honestly they are thick.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:41 »

These are some after woody end snapped off, i threw them in the freezer last night so I could ask advice today.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 11:45 »
Ps these are not the biggest  :nowink:

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 15:12 »
Most thick spears are woody at the base and more tender about halfway up. Normally the lower portion is peeled like a carrot to remove the tough outer coat. But yours look quite dry, like they've been struggling to find water. Are yours near trees or shrubs at all? Because those send out long searcher roots and can be in your asparagus bed stealing water.

The bending is usually from people nicking the edge of that stalk, or it could be slug damage from slugs nicking into the side of that stalk. Or possibly critters running through the asparagus bed and damaging stalks.

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 15:34 »
Too early for the asparagus beetle to make an appearance.  They are hiding in the soil at the moment waiting for the ferns to appear so they can munch away at them.  They weaken the plants and so you get deformed spears as a result.  We hunt them in the late summer.  On a still warm evening we can catch and squish up to 50 of the little darlings, only to do the same again the next evening.....

I think the spears look dry and they may be getting old.  I had some spears from a chap who was giving up his plot and his were as tough as old boots nearly up to the tip.  I'd ditch them and get some new crowns in the autumn.

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 15:35 »
About 3/4" is the norm here. I should have cut these this morning , but frankly Im tired of cutting it, tired of eating it and tired of taking it to mothers ::) I was going to dig them up but she complained.  >:(
sparrow_grass_a.jpg
sparrow_grass_b.jpg

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 19:08 »
Right thats it they are going, how long is a crowns lif span then.
These were new at the end of 2008

RaptorUK

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 19:20 »
Right thats it they are going, how long is a crowns lif span then.
These were new at the end of 2008

I have read that it can be as long as 20 years . . .   what variety are they ?

xx
PSB producing spears

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2020, 17:17
by Nobbie
xx
brocolli green spears

Started by nickyveglover on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 03:58
by compostqueen
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli spears

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2024, 09:25
by Grubbypaws
xx
Pretend I'm really thick..................

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 22:35
by fletcherbaker

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 37 queries.