Munty frame on North South raised bed

• 12 Replies

Jackypam

Munty frame on North South raised bed
« on: April 23, 2014, 21:52 »
I only have raised beds and all face north south on a slightly sloping exposed site.  I have been going 3 years and have used wigwams so far, I fancied a munty frame, but will it work on my site, or shall I stick to wigwams?

Trillium

Re: Munty frame on North South raised bed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 22:00 »
I set mine at north-south which is the only way I could manage my frame, and 5 years or so later my plants are still doing just fine. The east facing direction is mostly for optimal production but south facing can still be nicely acceptable output.

Jackypam

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 22:37 »
Cheers trillium,  best get my OH a glass of cold beer and ask him very nicely to give me hand with the screwdriver and saw at the weekend then (in the rain by the look of the forecast!).

Jackypam

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 22:39 »
Thinking about it trillium, Do you grow crops under the beans?  And which way round do you put the frame?  Open side to East or west?  Sorry to ask so many questions!

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 22:54 »
I plant mine north and they climb up and head south, works fine for me
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:40 »
To maximize cropping, ideally the tallest part of the frame should face east south east. In my garden I just don't have the space to do so, so I set the highest end to face south. I think any way round will work because plants will always turn their leaves to follow the sun.

I used to plant things under the frame - lettuce, onions, garlic, etc but I ended up stepping on them to reach some of the hanging produce so I've just given  up. It's not a lot of space really, maybe 2 ft. I've put a thick mulch in that area to keep down weeds and it works for me. Others need to use every inch of space, so whatever works for you.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00 »
The original diagram shows the highest part facing south

Jackypam

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 13:40 »
So if you only had a choice of that south arrow facing either east or west, which would you pick? 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 13:53 »
Hmm, shouldn't make any difference really, but I think I'd probably go for it facing west - but that's because I'd put it at the eastern end of the plot and it looks better that way round.  If you think about it, both sides of the frame should get equal amounts of sun.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 14:52 »
So if you only had a choice of that south arrow facing either east or west, which would you pick?

sorry, your post says your beds face North/South so I thought you could put them facing South  :unsure:

My beds all run North to South, so I have the short side of the frame facing towards the East and the high part facing the West  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 14:59 »
I have found it works perfectly well for the beans which ever way  around it goes, as they just turn their leaves accordingly.

However, I grow courgettes partly under the high end, and this is not successful when the high end faces north or thereabouts, because the full frame shades them too much.

I only add this as some growers do utilise this ground as well --my plot neighbour for example planted swede there last year.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Jackypam

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 15:38 »
Sorry mum, I phrased that badly, I think mine must be the same as yours, so I'll do the same as you.  Thanks everyone for your help.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 17:22 »
Hmm, shouldn't make any difference really, but I think I'd probably go for it facing west - but that's because I'd put it at the eastern end of the plot and it looks better that way round.  If you think about it, both sides of the frame should get equal amounts of sun.

Logically correct. But isn't afternoon sun generally considered hotter? Maybe something to do with the ground having warmed up?
Never stop learning

xx
north to south

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 11:54
by surbie100
xx
north to south or east to west

Started by elfy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 10:52
by goodtogrow
xx
weather north/south devide?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 09:25
by Christine
xx
Bean Row direction - East/West or North/South - Help needed

Started by Kentishman2004 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 20:59
by gobs

Page created in 0.922 seconds with 38 queries.