Sugar snap peas flowering already ?!

• 12 Replies

Annad83

Sugar snap peas flowering already ?!
« on: April 19, 2014, 19:03 »
Is this normal? They are about 30cm high...
Anna, enthusiastic amateur from the herts/Essex boarder!

gobs

Re: Sugar snap peas flowering already ?!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 13:59 »
I do not grow them, but it does not sound normal.

More like something dwarfed and flowering in its misery. However, I'm by no means an expert on them. :D

What variety are they? how tall are they supposed to get? When did you sow?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 15:52 »
I have no idea if it's normal, but I'm salivating just thinking about them!   :tongue2:  Are they in a greenhouse/PT?  Hope you get a crop from them, they are one of my fave's.  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 16:00 »
It may be normal for where you are Annad83, but as ever with no location in your personal forum profile we don't know where that is!

I'm trying sugarsnaps in my GH this year in the hope of avoiding pea thrips, which ruined some of last year's outdoor crop - they're about 2' tall at the moment but will grow to about 7' if they perform the same as outdoors (will start flowering at 3-4' IIRC)

Yours may be an entirely different, and much more compact variety of course.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 17:40 »

Here in Gloucester I have just sown mine,about the normal time as usual!

What part of the country are you gardening in as it make an enormous difference weather wise!
Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 17:47 »
We do have earlier springs here in BG, and our sugar snaps are flowering too. They don't really grow them here but peas need sowing and preserving because, as we found out last year, it is too hot in summer for them. Our ordinary British peas are not flowering though they were direct sown at the same time. The BG brand we sowed a couple of weeks later aren't flowering either. All of them are a couple of feet high.

Can't wait to get my teeth into some nice fresh veg other than chard and lettuce.

Annad83

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 18:03 »
They are outside I started them in the greenhouse they are called Ann... Oh well I guess we will see, will they carry on growing even though they're flowering?

gobs

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 19:48 »
They are outside I started them in the greenhouse they are called Ann... Oh well I guess we will see, will they carry on growing even though they're flowering?

Sugar Ann? You are all right then. :D

It says in me catalogue here: "very early, replacement for Dwarf sugar"

I wonder sometimes, do you people read what you are buying? :tongue2:

Annad83

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 20:09 »
Hi Gobs, yes I do read what I'm buying, it says picking in June (and yes I have followed the instructions on the packet !) my concern is they are only 30cm high and flowering , there's dwarf and there's minuscule! Apologies for asking what may be seen to some as an obvious question but I thought the boards were here for help and advice!! I will continue to follow the packet and sow every 4 weeks and hope for the best.

I have really enjoyed being part of the forum and getting help and advice from those more experienced than myself so apologies if my questions have seemed silly. I am still new to this (despite having an allotment for a couple of years !!)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 20:22 »
You're doing everything right Annad83 (and thanks for adding your location - it helps those of us still facing a long wait for anything to eat from our sugarsnaps!  ;))

They do seem to be quite a dwarf variety, and also very early, which is why T&M for one suggest sowing every 10 days or so (not compulsory to do it that often of course!  ;))

gobs

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 20:25 »
Hi Gobs, yes I do read what I'm buying, it says picking in June (and yes I have followed the instructions on the packet !) my concern is they are only 30cm high and flowering , there's dwarf and there's minuscule! Apologies for asking what may be seen to some as an obvious question but I thought the boards were here for help and advice!! I will continue to follow the packet and sow every 4 weeks and hope for the best.

I have really enjoyed being part of the forum and getting help and advice from those more experienced than myself so apologies if my questions have seemed silly. I am still new to this (despite having an allotment for a couple of years !!)

I was joking, Annad, I had no clue, either, as I said. Look, Jay said, they start flowering very small, that's all I know, too about them.

I just kinda bumped your question as nobody answered it, but without knowing what it is, it is rather hard. :D

Steveharford

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 08:20 »
I've still to plant mine out yet. The variety is Sugar Bon and they grow to 18" high.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 13:20 »
I just love snaps as they are such good value for the space and you can let some pods "go over" to get little peas. I've grown Sugar Ann before but this year I'm trying "Jessy" from D T Browns that grows about 30" high, so no blowing all over the place even with supports. Annad - NO question is silly or whatever - not on this website, but we do have a joke sometimes!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Best sugar snap peas.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2023, 10:17
by JacsH
xx
sugar snap peas etc

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 10:01
by Bernard
xx
Sugar snap peas

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:41
by viettaclark
xx
How do I grow Sugar Snap Peas??

Started by littlebabynothing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 12:31
by littlebabynothing

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 37 queries.