Two broodies with chicks in the same coop

• 5 Replies

bantam novice

Two broodies with chicks in the same coop
« on: April 16, 2014, 20:46 »
Well hello again all.  It has been a while since I have been on this forum and I have a dilemma.  I would be very grateful for any suggestions or feedback. 

I have two broody hens that have hatched eggs within 24 hours of each other.  One has seven and one five.  I have a largish coop with attached run (floor space in coop 80cms X 90cms and run approx 3X length of coop), which is an ideal accommodation for broody and chicks and I am rather short of accommodation that has such good run space.

The two broodies are grey cuckoo pekins and from the same clutch.

I am wondering if I can accommodate both broodies together as they seem quite happy together usually or will it be pistols at dawn?  Maybe create a partition?

The run is thicker than chicken wire and too thick for a fox to chew through and there is the same thick wire mesh on top of the run so birds of prey are kept at bay so it seems ideal if they can live with each other.

As a temporary measure I have one broody accommodated in a coop with a smaller run but I feel the chicks will soon outgrow this.

Any thoughts?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hen addict

Re: Two broodies with chicks in the same coop
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 21:15 »
Just to clarify where are your broodys now? Did they hatch the eggs in separate places?in my opinion It is highly unlikely that it will work putting 2 mums and 2 clutches in together. A broody will naturally keep herself and the chicks in seclusion untill she is ready to take them out. Even then she is very protective with them and doesn't usually let the other hens near them for a quite a while. It is usual to keep the broody and chicks separate untill she is ready to leave them when they are fully feathered and able to fend for themselves and return to the flock.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:18 »
the broodies could attack the other broodies chicks, keeping them separate is the best option.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 15:36 »
Thanks for the helpful responses.   I have actually kept them separate but have bought a 4m X 4m wire covered frame which I will surround with an electric net fence and put both broody coops in there so that there will be more safe space to wander as the chicks get older.  The wire mesh should be enough to keep out the birds of prey and the electric net should do the same for foxes etc. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:37 »
good luck with your venture and fingers crossed you get more hens than cockerels  :)

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42 »
Thanks Joyfull,

I have found a few homes for cockerels locally; however they are an issue for all breeders given the 70:30 ratio.   I find with the poots that it is usually possible to tell at four or five weeks which chicks are which then the horrible part.  :(

I must admit that I find it hard to dispatch perfectly healthy male birds just because they are male.  I have a friend who is a gamekeeper and does that for me in return for a few eggs.

However by selling on in trios at least some will find a home so I tend to wait and at least they have a good life however short.

xx
yet another question on chicks and broodies.

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 13:52
by raeburg
xx
what age should you put chicks into outside coop

Started by kaz1510 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 14:26
by Dominic
xx
Trouble integrating new chicks into the coop

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 08:09
by Sassy
xx
Insulation type for the coop and heat lamp, 250watts enough for some chicks

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 08:48
by Casey76

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 29 queries.