How many French bean plants do you grow?

• 30 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How many French bean plants do you grow?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 18:07 »
The trouble is - that while they are in season I could live on beans  :D

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 19:28 »
We're 3 in our house but only 2 eat beans (the other just sneers at them  :D) I like to pressure bottle lots with a clove of garlic in each jar for winter eating since my climate won't stretch to growing anything like that through winter, and the freezers always burst with our homegrown fruit and other edibles. 

Daisysandbeans

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 23:39 »
We grew two rows with about 10 plants in each row, they were claiming French beans (sultana) and were the most successful we have had.

Snoop

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52 »
The trouble is - that while they are in season I could live on beans  :D

Likewise, MoS.

Trillium, I read somewhere that bottling beans is difficult to do at home. Do you have any special techniques you wouldn't mind sharing over on the cooking forum?

Steveharford

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 06:25 »
I salt mine successfully in sweet jars

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 14:33 »
I have what's known as a pressure canner and I use mason jars in the canner.  The canner is under 10 lbs of pressure (regulated) for about 25 minutes and that raises the temperature much higher than just boiling water. All bacteria, etc are killed in the process yet the beans still have a nice texture after processing.

Pressure canning isn't that common in the UK but units can be obtained. They're an excellent investment for the long term as I even do meat in the jars, and the open pot can be used as a water bath pot as it's fairly heavy duty.

I have this unit HERE but I'd like the bigger one that will stack twice as many bottles. Sadly, I'd need to win the lottery to buy the bigger unit as they're wickedly expensive, about $600 Canadian.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 18:32 »
Had 12 climbing French beans and despite the fact we love I was giving them away - but I will repeat the number this year as it's a nice thing to do!

Snoop

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 08:12 »
Wow, Trilllium. I have an ordinary pressure cooker, but that thing looks like a monster. 21lbs - I guess you don't move it once it's full!

Trillium

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 17:40 »
Well, it is sort of heavy once you put in 7 quart or 8 pint jars and 2" of water but it's manageable if you need to move it (which I don't). It's made of thick aluminium to withstand the internal pressure which is how you get the higher heat to process whatever. But there's no real reason to move it when you're cooking with it. I have special lifting tongs to remove individual bottles once they're done and all that's left inside is maybe an inch of water.

I've successfully done butter, meats and all sorts of veg. The past summer I did fresh corn off the cob and wondered if it would turn out soggy. To my surprise, it was nicely crisp and tasty. Same with the french beans.
There's also an easy technique to bottle your own dried beans to be ready to add to chilis, soups and such.
5ACnbpiH3LE

Snoop

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 12:42 »
Well, I've had a look on Amazon.co.uk and they list your beauty but say it's no longer available.  :( I may not have green fingers, but I'm certainly green with envy. This is just what I'm looking for, as we live off grid and have no freezer, so it's impossible to store surplus produce unless it's bottled (canned).

Maybe, by the time I've managed to save up enough, Amazon will have yours back in stock. They have a Presto now, but I like the idea of yours being gasket free. No spare parts to worry about and no concerns that the gasket might fail.

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 19:56 »
The gaskets tend to be fairly durable. If anything, someone damaging or losing the gasket is the bigger problem.  You can always order a spare gasket to have on hand when needed. Order it the same time as the unit to guarantee availability and you get the right size. I have friends with the Prestos and they love them.

Off grid living is the perfect scenario for pressure canners. I've recently bought an outdoor cooker called a rocket stove and am getting a local welder to construct a simple yet strong 4 legged cooking stand to set just over the cooker. The weight of a full canner would, over time, crush the actual cooker unit so the strong stand guarantees long life to everything. And by using twigs and other biomass (dried manure, pinecones, etc), you greatly reduce the cost of canning/bottling.

I have this same unit and found an old bbq table on wheels to set it on (rather than the ground) to move it where needed easily. STOVE

Headgardener22

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 03:28 »
I do have freezer  space and I do like runner chutney but think I may cut back on the planned french .

French beans make perfectly good chutney (in fact I prefer them to runner beans).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 13:27 »
looks like I may of over done it then  :lol: 10 dwarf french and runner for poly to get earlies ! and 20 ft rows of french and runners outside (thats double rows) and only 4 of us  :blush:

Unless you are planning to feed the neighbours as well, that sure is a lot of beans Sparkyrog  :ohmy:

There are two of us, plus the our two adult children and their families, who benefit from our harvests too, so I grow 24 runner, 24 climbing French beans and 12 climbing Borlotti type for drying, plus 24 dwarf French beans for outside, with six or so for early beans in the greenhouse (which are now three plants since I dropped the tray of cucumber plants on them  ???
That gives up plenty to freeze as well
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Sparkyrog

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 15:16 »
looks like I may of over done it then  :lol: 10 dwarf french and runner for poly to get earlies ! and 20 ft rows of french and runners outside (thats double rows) and only 4 of us  :blush:

Unless you are planning to feed the neighbours as well, that sure is a lot of beans Sparkyrog  :ohmy:

There are two of us, plus the our two adult children and their families, who benefit from our harvests too, so I grow 24 runner, 24 climbing French beans and 12 climbing Borlotti type for drying, plus 24 dwarf French beans for outside, with six or so for early beans in the greenhouse (which are now three plants since I dropped the tray of cucumber plants on them  ???
That gives up plenty to freeze as well

I can sell surplus if needed the pub who's garden I do will take them  ;)
I cook therefore I grow

Trillium

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 17:36 »
Earning a few pence for more seeds, sparky?   :D

xx
If you could only grow one type of French Bean...

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 21:42
by mumofstig
xx
Haricots/flageolets from French bean plants

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2015, 09:35
by Snoop
xx
Leaving french beans to grow large and harvest as seed/ dried bean

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 21:39
by Paul Plots
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 39 queries.