If you could only grow one type of French Bean...

• 21 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: If you could only grow one type of French Bean...
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 11:14 »
Any recommendations for tasty dwarf green ones?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jezza

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 20:46 »
hi i had cobra, 8 plants produced nearly 10 pounds of beans from end of june - beginning of october jezza

crh75

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 13:01 »
I think Traviata are a good dwarf bean, we have grown them for the last few years.  Very tasty, produce over a long period and have fairly sturdy plants.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 14:53 »

Why restrict me to one?

I grow dwarf and climbing, green ones, yellow ones and purple ones and the kids actually eat them without a fuss!

Besides some times one variety fails to grow but as there is others growing it is not a great loss if one sort fails!
STOP, and smell the roses!

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 19:48 »

Why restrict me to one?

I grow dwarf and climbing, green ones, yellow ones and purple ones and the kids actually eat them without a fuss!

Besides some times one variety fails to grow but as there is others growing it is not a great loss if one sort fails!
Perhaps if you have limited space you might want to know what the best bean people consider is best of all to grow and then grow that one.   It isn't going to restrict the types of bean anyone else grows.   I think Floody explained it in an earlier post.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 19:50 by AnneB »

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 21:11 »

Why restrict me to one?

Perhaps if you have limited space you might want to know what the best bean people consider is best of all to grow and then grow that one.   It isn't going to restrict the types of bean anyone else grows.   I think Floody explained it in an earlier post.

I think the question asked may have been to get a topic started rather than which was the best bean, as taste is very suggestive!

On our allotments there are two old codgers, no one else has any idea about what or how to grow anything except them, both keep on about their special potatoes which they grow, both off them different varieties which they save the seed each year and will not say what they are!

The rest of us think they are a joke, as you should see what they consider a good crop of potatoes!

Another chap and myself share plants etc,this year I had five varieties of potatoes, and sowed six of beans of which the dwarf Safari failed on two sowings, the seed rotted on both occasions!

Some varieties do well for me others do not, even though they do a'ok for my friend!

Cheers!

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 21:38 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 21:42 »
JimB, if you had read the thread the member who started the topic explained why he wanted to grow only 1 bean.

Why would you only grow one French Bean? You need at least two for a full season.

Sorry Headgardener, I didn't realise there are rules for what you NEED when it comes to growing amounts of French Beans!   :D :D

The answer is simple.  I've grown two or three types in the past and it's too much. Me and the missus like French beans but only in moderation, we get sick of the sight of them quite quickly and so do the people to whom we try to give them away.

xx
How many French bean plants do you grow?

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 18:22
by beesrus
xx
Leaving french beans to grow large and harvest as seed/ dried bean

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 21:39
by Paul Plots
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
french bean varieties

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 11:53
by Lottiegob

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 30 queries.