How many French bean plants do you grow?

• 30 Replies

Snoop

How many French bean plants do you grow?
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:11 »
I've just been reading the multi-coloured veg thread, on which Surbie says she (I think) grew six climbing French bean plants, which produced more than enough for her needs.

I've been pondering on the issue of how many beans is reasonable. I guess it makes a difference whether you're talking dwarf or climbers and what your needs are. I was thinking about 40 climbing French beans, 20 climbing borlotti and maybe 40 each of Sonesta and Nassau dwarf beans - grown successionally if I can manage it. There are just the two of us, though any surplus is gratefully received by friends and neighbours. Maybe I'm totally overdoing it. I should say I haven't grown climbing beans successfully before, but am more hopeful this year as they'll be going into a relatively sheltered site.

So how many bean plants do you grow?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How many French bean plants do you grow?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:32 »
I grow 20 purple French climbing beans,
20 runner beans,
20 climbing shelling beans Spagna Bianco
20 dwarf French sown later to fit into gaps wherever they appear  :D

That's enough fresh for 3 adults & 2 kids and enough to freeze for me for winter use.
The dried ones are just for me.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19 »

Last year I grew 50 runner beans (from Growster ) 20 Blue Lake climbing french beans and 40 Tendergreen
    dwarf french beans .
    That was enough for our family ( 12 of us )and plenty for friends and neighbours .
    The year  before last I grew Cobra climbing beans , and will be growing again this year, as I thought the yield
    was greater than blue lake .

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:22 »
I grew about 16 climbers (for both pods and dried beans) and 12 dwarf, and that was more than enough for me alone.  I had them coming out of my ears for weeks!

having said that I have even more planned for this year, though only because I have so many varieties i want to try  ::)

I'm already clearing freezer space ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:50 »
Because it's so windy here, I grow my French beans in the greenhouse. I found two climbing ones (Cobra) was plenty for the two of us as they grew like triffids! The last couple of years I have grown dwarf ones with my sweetcorn and had plenty from 2 batches of 5 plants (one early and one later on). Picking regularly helps in their production. This year I'm trying one purple climber and some Montano dwarf - maybe in 2 batches of 6 so there's more for the freezer.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:26 »
Looks like I was going to be totally overdoing it! This is great news, mind. More room for other things... Now where's that seed catalogue? :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:36 »
I've just been reading the multi-coloured veg thread, on which Surbie says she (I think) grew six climbing French bean plants, which produced more than enough for her needs.

So how many bean plants do you grow?

Yes, I am a she.  ;)

Also grew 8 yellow dwarf French beans and a few purple ones, they are ready before the climbers are I find. I eat a lot of beans...

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15 »
Thanks Surbie. I'm really glad I started this thread. I'll have lots of room for other things, maybe even some Spunta potatoes which our plot neighbours have bought locally and which my oh said looked quite impressive (good size and very healthy chits) and only a euro a kilo... More peppers and chillies... More fancy-coloured carrots...

You guys have really made my day!

Jackypam

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 13:59 »
Is there a chart somewhere with the average yields per plant for the more obvious veg? I'm in my third year and still getting it very wrong and running out of freezer too soon.  I know it varies plot to plot, area to area, and even year to year, but it would give us relative newbies a clue if there is such a thing out there.  I might try gurgle, but I kind of trust you guys...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 14:15 »
I prefer the type called filet beans, a slimmer, smoother and slightly smaller pd variety that's a bush type. I grow between 30-40 plants per year but never have enough for fresh eating and bottling, so this year I plan to grow about 80 plants. Runner beans produce so heavily that I limit them to 4 now, my fave being White Lady. Lovely pods and a good producer.

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 15:48 »
Hi Trillium, how many people do you feed?

And MoS, thanks for that link. Very useful.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 15:56 »
looks like I may of over done it then  :lol: 10 dwarf french and runner for poly to get earlies ! and 20 ft rows of french and runners outside (thats double rows) and only 4 of us  :blush:
I cook therefore I grow

Christine

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 16:21 »
You could well have overdone it there man unless you have a big freezer, lots of friends and are prepared to pickle a few ..... :D

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 16:54 »
I do have freezer  space and I do like runner chutney but think I may cut back on the planned french .

xx
If you could only grow one type of French Bean...

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 21:42
by mumofstig
xx
Haricots/flageolets from French bean plants

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2015, 09:35
by Snoop
xx
Leaving french beans to grow large and harvest as seed/ dried bean

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 21:39
by Paul Plots
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 30 queries.