Anyone sown toms?

• 39 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: Anyone sown toms?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23 »
Lol not a stall but my oh cooks for the homeless so nearly everything i grow goes to the church for the homeless and friends

How lovely is that!! I won't be rolling my eyes at the amount of seeds you sow in future now that I know your doing it for such a good cause.  :)

Nobbie

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 13:46 »
I sowed a batch 3 weeks ago and have just pricked them out into pots. I'll sow another batch in a week's times and see how they compare. I've previously just bought plants, but my boast of the earliest tomatoes was always vetoed by my dad as I hadn't grown from seed :nowink: I've only got an unheated greenhouse, but can pop them up in the loft conversion until it looks safe.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 14:25 »
First time from seed and they look leggy  ::)

Snoop

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 14:29 »
Lol not a stall but my oh cooks for the homeless so nearly everything i grow goes to the church for the homeless and friends

The world could do with more people like you and your oh, that's for sure. Hope you have a productive and enjoyable year.

Edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 16:53 by JayG »

Godhelm

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 17:46 »
If you end up with leggy tomatoes, a few day before planting, turn the pots on their sides. The top of the tomato will then bend upwards to the light. Plant the tomato with most of the stem horizontal in a trough - the tomato will send out roots from along the stem and will be all the more healthy for the extra roots. That's the theory anyway!

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 19:33 »
Great suggestion!!!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 20:00 »
Yes great suggestion  :Dthank you for your comments :)  i had a tom plant what fell over once before in the greenhouse and that rooted and produced very well ;)
diggity dig dig

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 20:54 »
Sowed some Sweet n Neat on a warm windowsill at the weekend...they only make small plants so can stay indoors for longer, but if they need to go out I've got a very sheltered spot for them by a South-facing wall.

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 07:37 »
If you end up with leggy tomatoes, a few day before planting, turn the pots on their sides. The top of the tomato will then bend upwards to the light. Plant the tomato with most of the stem horizontal in a trough - the tomato will send out roots from along the stem and will be all the more healthy for the extra roots. That's the theory anyway!

Great tip - it definitely works. The natural light on my windowsills isn't great so my toms usually get pulled and leggy to a degree. Each time I re-pot I bury the plant up to its leaves. Cant say if my plants are more healthy - but I know for sure that I don't have long, stringy looking plants by the time they go to their final planting positions. 

snowdrops

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 07:48 »
My greenhouse is unheated, so I haven't sown any and am hanging on for a week or two as well. 

It feels like spring is here, but plenty of time for another cold snap yet.  I find toms grow so fast, an early sowing just leads to leggy plants on the windowsill  ;)  :)

Oh good, pleased to know that I'm not the only one. In fact I've not sown anything yet.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Who has sown what so far

Started by VirginVegGrower on Grow Your Own

106 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 14:59
by Nicki85
xx
What have you sown up to now?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 10:28
by DD.
xx
Has anyone sown brassicas yet?

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 14:35
by kevinp
xx
Leeks sown yet?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 26, 2020, 11:25
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.819 seconds with 37 queries.