Anyone sown toms?

• 39 Replies

cudders

• Experienced Member
Re: Anyone sown toms?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 08:57 »
I've sown two each of Cherry, Plum and normal.

All about two inch tall still on window sill. Another week they go into the conservatory and then greenhouse and of May.

Cudders

LilacSandy

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 10:48 »
Put in all my large and plum type yesterday into the propagator,  will put the cherry in when these have germinated.  I used to start mine in Feb but found that they get too leggy and a March sowing gives me a better crop.

Snoop

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 10:57 »
DD, you've reassured me. Mine are still in their packets but I will start them off some time this week.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 12:44 »
There are so many varieties of tomatoes available today. There are varieties that grow in Greenland and Siberia, not the first countries you would think of. If you are going to start early sowing then you need a variety which is suited to that. I have grown  'Stupice'  and 'Sub Artic' both of which can produce fruit within 60 days. This time I have 4 plants of Sub Artic which should be flowering soon and give me fruit in early June. The more 'British' varieties I shall sow next month.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 15:54 »
72 in modules, sown this weekend. Plenty of space to absoRb plants if required should the weather take a colder turn.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 20:33 »
I've sown 'Harbinger' and 'Sweet Million' today.
Just 'Black Krim' and 'Tigerella' to be sown over next couple of days ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 20:57 »
Nope, couple of weeks yet, although some of you lot are making me feel I should be starting to panic!  :ohmy: :tongue2: ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:29 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 21:01 »
Starting this week!

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 21:46 »
There are so many varieties of tomatoes available today. There are varieties that grow in Greenland and Siberia, not the first countries you would think of. If you are going to start early sowing then you need a variety which is suited to that. I have grown  'Stupice'  and 'Sub Artic' both of which can produce fruit within 60 days. This time I have 4 plants of Sub Artic which should be flowering soon and give me fruit in early June. The more 'British' varieties I shall sow next month.

I grow tomatoes in Finland. That's quite north.

I never got an early crop from Sub-arctic. I tried them now for 2 seasons. They are usual among the later ones. Taste-wise they are ok, but nothing great.

Stupice is wonderful. It is a much better cropper than sub-arctic in my garden, and it grows well outside in Finland. And it tastes great!!!! It was the best tomato during my first season of growing outside tomatoes.

The best tomato I did last year for outside nordic conditions was Anna Russian. They taste great. It grows well outside here too.

This year I am testing 12 new varieties.

I planted the first batch in mid february. Not all came up actually so I did another batch 2 weeks later. And then decided I wouldn't have enough of my favourite varieties so I did batch no.3 this week.

I have at the moment 50+ seedlings. The new batch will push it to around 75-80.

I grow them on my covered terras. In my small greenhouse and on my allotment.

I am also growing some seedlings to give away to friends, mainly dwarf varieties. But still, I will have too many seedlings. I can grow around 50 full sized plants. I am just going to pick the best ones.

Growing tomatoes can be frustrating here. They love the summer with the non-existing and extreme short nights, but the growing season starts late and ends early. This weekend it snowed. Earlier this week I had my tomato seedlings in my greenhouse during the afternoon. I actually thought it was really spring now. But unfortunately this is not the case.

Every "spring" it is a logistical nightmare to move around the seedlings, find space for them in the little sun we get, and to get them hardened. They get big before they can go out permanently.

sarajane

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 22:02 »
Sowed mine at end of Jan.  They are about 3 in tall and currently living on the camping table in the front room (along with peppers, aubergines, chillis  fuschias and begonias).

Luckily I have a large bay window so plenty of light and they get turned at least twice a day  -  Oh, and a very understanding OH.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 22:42 »
I have sown around 340 of 25 different varieties of toms nearly all of them are up 1 inch ,in my pt with double eltex parrafin heater with 160 peppers and chillies ,40 cucs 3 varieties aubergines 40, 3 varieties just hope they all survive  ;)
diggity dig dig

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 05:24 »
I have sown around 340 of 25 different varieties of toms nearly all of them are up 1 inch ,in my pt with double eltex parrafin heater with 160 peppers and chillies ,40 cucs 3 varieties aubergines 40, 3 varieties just hope they all survive  ;)

Blimey, I thought I was bad. Do you have a market stall? Or a serious seed addiction? 40 cues? :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 05:57 »
My greenhouse is unheated, so I haven't sown any and am hanging on for a week or two as well. 

It feels like spring is here, but plenty of time for another cold snap yet.  I find toms grow so fast, an early sowing just leads to leggy plants on the windowsill  ;)  :)

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53 »

Blimey, I thought I was bad. Do you have a market stall? Or a serious seed addiction? 40 cues? :ohmy:
Lol not a stall but my oh cooks for the homeless so nearly everything i grow goes to the church for the homeless and friends

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 11:10 »

Lol not a stall but my oh cooks for the homeless so nearly everything i grow goes to the church for the homeless and friends

Awww bless you. I am going to be looking in to donating excess this year. difficult when you don't know the language. As newbies last year we left bags of toms on the lane for anyone who needed them (most grow their own)

xx
Who has sown what so far

Started by VirginVegGrower on Grow Your Own

106 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 14:59
by Nicki85
xx
What have you sown up to now?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 10:28
by DD.
xx
Can kale be sown now?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 16:05
by Yorkie
xx
Leeks sown yet?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 19, 2021, 15:33
by bobbyt

Page created in 1.208 seconds with 31 queries.