is this how big bantam eggs usualy are

• 16 Replies

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
is this how big bantam eggs usualy are
« on: February 26, 2014, 15:14 »
hi one of my lovely gold laced orpingtons has laid her second egg today but it looks tiny. i have read the first eggs are sometimes small so not sure as ive never had bantams before only large fowl. ive put a pic on next to my marans eggs. o/h was going to sell some at work to help pay for there feed but its tiny lol! i thort they would be bigger than that :wub:
unnamed (4).jpg

BabbyAnn

Re: is this how big bantam eggs usualy are
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 15:53 »
it looks so cute LOL  :D

I don't know anything about bantams, but going off my hybrids, the first eggs were small - I was pleased the girls were laying but also gutted at how small they were for the same reason of wanting to sell them.  Gradually  the eggs got bigger to the large egg size now so I reckon the eggs from bantams will be small but maybe a little bigger than this one.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 15:57 »
thanks babby, it is cute maybe if they stay small they could be sold cheaper and on the novelty factor!.  i use alot of eggs at home aswell, was just going to sell a few to help with feed. never seen a egg as small as them two shes just had tho! :D

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 16:32 »
That looks about right for a bantam egg - they lay much smaller eggs than hybrids. I would usually use two bantam eggs for eggs and toast.  :D 

Just wish mine would start as I  think bantam eggs are lovely. Cannot complain too much as the Sussex are starting to lay on a more regular basis now.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 17:10 »
spring ive got four of the orpingtons only ones laying i think so far but one has a redder comb than the others so i think its her. ive got 3 copper marans and 2 are laying and the myster hen who turned up in my garden last year her comb is still pink. how much would a fair price to sell them for with them being so small. there a pinky coloured egg x

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 19:19 »
spring ive got four of the orpingtons only ones laying i think so far but one has a redder comb than the others so i think its her. ive got 3 copper marans and 2 are laying and the myster hen who turned up in my garden last year her comb is still pink. how much would a fair price to sell them for with them being so small. there a pinky coloured egg x

I only sell eggs to friends and they are usually a mixture of sizes - I charge £1 for six. One thing about bantam eggs is that the yolk is quite large for the size of the egg.  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 19:32 »
the size of a bantams eggs will depend on the breed and if it is a true bantam or just a smaller version of a large fowl (true bantams have no large fowl equivalent).
Staffies are softer than you think.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 19:40 »
youve got me confused now joyfull lol :wacko:. i bought them of a guy who bred them and said he went a fair way for the parents. was sold to me as gold lace orpington bantams there v pretty and def look true to breed from the pics ive googled  xx

barley

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 21:51 »
looks just right to me - I tend to use 6 eggs from my bantams if the recipe says 4  and its a good excuse to have 2 sunny side ups for breakfast as their smaller  ;)

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 22:13 »
ive never had bantam eggs before so will def be trying them :D i broke the first one today out of curiosity but i  had had my tea  so just put it in a cup. the yolk wasnt big but was her first one and well done to her :) i will put a pic on tommorow of my girls. ther really beautifull but skittish still, hopefully they will come round i love watching them they look like there made of lace with there patterns fond of all the girls but i love looking at these xx

wilbzfishing

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 22:20 »
My banties usually lay that size

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 15:35 »
traacyken you get two types of bantams, you can get a smaller version of a large breed chicken such araucanas, rhode island reds, welsummers etc Lots of large breed chickens have a bantam version.
True bantams have no large fowl version - such as sabelpoots, Belgian bantams, Dutch, Pekin, sebrights and seramas.
The seramas are the worlds smallest breed of bantams and their eggs are really small.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 11:04 »
ah thanks see what u mean now :D pic of mine
unnamed (5).jpg

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 13:13 »
beautiful  :)

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 13:43 »
thanks joyfull there pretty things would love to get them in large fowl they look expensive about 25 plus a hen thoigh from what ive seen x

xx
bantam eggs

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 16:19
by ANHBUC
xx
Coloured Bantam Eggs

Started by Tensing on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2006, 11:12
by Tensing
xx
maran bantam eggs

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 04:34
by joyfull
xx
pekin bantam - still no eggs nearly a year on

Started by Deano27 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 17:05
by joyfull

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 29 queries.