What's gone wrong?

• 2 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
What's gone wrong?
« on: February 13, 2014, 18:45 »
Hi

I knew something would go wrong but it'd be nice to know what...

Started off coriander and thyme in modules in my heated and lit propagator.  Then they went to the window cill.  I have set up a mini greenhouse in my polytunnel with a parasene cold frame heater in it and thought I'd give them a night in there with the heater lit.

They looked a pretty sorry sight this morning.  Especially the coriander.  Leaves (only cotyledons showing) looked shrivelled and 'burnt'.  I'm wondering if it was too cold overnight in the mini greenhouse and that's what's got to them or if it was at some stage this morning too hot before I opened up and turned off the heater.  Sun had been on the PT for an hour or so by 9.45 am.

Not so bothered about losing this lot as there was always going to be a bit of trial and error as to when you can start things off in a PT in the Peak District but I am a bit worried that I'm going to blow it with my more precious seedlings...peppers, toms etc...

Oooooerrrr....

Adri

syks grower

Re: What's gone wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 19:36 »
I would check that the heater is burning ok first.

Did you have the plants directly above the heater this may have resulted in them getting too hot.
I use the bottom shelf of the minigreenhouse as a propgator with seed trays on solid plasting trays to spread the heat.
Put a max min thermometer in the mini greenhouse to check what temperatures you are getting.

I usually put seedlings in the mini greenhouse in the day and bring them in at night for a few days to limit the shock to the  plants

adri123

• Experienced Member
Re: What's gone wrong?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 19:48 »
yep,  I suspect my moving things from nice propagator to window cill to PT was the root cause.  There wasn't any real hardening off to speak of.

Lit the firework to early!!!!

Next year will be different at least as I'm keeping a diary and will put some black marks by all the 'jump start' failures...

Brrrrr...I wouldn't want to be a seedling out in this!!!  So can't see why I though they would...DOH!!!

angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl
xx
What went wrong?

Started by LEW on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 20:34
by Jay Dubya
clip
What is wrong with my PSB

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2022, 17:43
by Grubbypaws
xx
what am i doing wrong??????

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 20:52
by ilan

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 28 queries.