Serious blood drawn feather pecking!

• 11 Replies

joolz68

Serious blood drawn feather pecking!
« on: February 03, 2014, 22:25 »
Its started the last few days,a few have had back feather loss for a while,ive been purple spraying them patches as a deterant over time just in case and all as been fine.then 2 days back i noticed lilacs patch getting larger,i was thinking its just moult as she had been getting new folical feathers,i know hens are always eating stray feathers and pecking at  eachother but this morning it was like a blood bath!lilacs back was bleeding and another with no feather loss was dripping blood from her vent area :(so big clean up and took the 2 hens out to recover in sick bay.
Then i noticed in my other run that 2 hens had bare butts(under belly) in there and also looked minor blood pecked,this pen arnt warrens like the others and have a lot more plumage so untill tipped upsde down i didnt know :(
Is it the time of yr for cannabolism ?ive not changed anything feed wise so im really worried :ohmy:

BabbyAnn

Re: Serious blood drawn feather pecking!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 22:45 »
It could be boredom especially in winter when there's not a lot else for them to do, or overcrowding.  With low light levels they might not getting enough sun (for vitamin D) or could be looking for food source of calcium or extra protein which feathers contain.  Or you have a bully that has upped her bullying to a new level - she'll be the one with a complete feathered bum in contrast to the others.

I have a Bluebelle that has always been a secret bum feather eater (she must have a midnight snack in the coop) and although I used an anti feather pecking spray, it hasn't deterred her from stopping.  Someone recommended Scarper which is the ultimate in sprays which I have yet to use.  At the moment she seems content with the extra protein I've been giving the girls (she seems to peck it twice as fast as the others and gobbles it all up which makes me think it is dietary), and I have been making alterations to the run with a few raised perches for the others to get away from any bullying

joolz68

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 23:17 »
Thanks BA,making alterations sounds a good idea,theyve been ok,got enough space and light levels are getting more so now so maybe that could be a cause for boredom,ive got no greens to hang this month or last that maybe a factor  :( i did mark one on the bottom neck with the purple spray that has all feathers as i seen her peck,shes a yr younger than lilac,lilac is a great layer so i need to protect her.
I thought layers pellets,corn,greens was enough for them not to crave to much,the hen thats bleeding for the vent area has all feathers so i not understanding why shes been attacked  :( not entirely sure i should of put her and lilac together in sick bay but i only have 1 spare coop for problems,hope she ok in the morn,she spent most of the day inside alone x

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:52 »
Do you have a cockerel in with them?

You mention that there are new feathers coming through - as they only re-grow feathers after/during the moult it must be that time for them. When the new feathers are coming through the other hens may have a peck at them, they can look as though they may be something tasty! These new buds of feathers are quite tender and can be painful for the hens. Re-feathering is a time where some extra protein may be appreciated. Try them with a little tuna (in water not oil). Do check the hen whose bottom was attacked just in case there are any passengers lurking - they can cause this sort of attack. There is usually a ring leader to these sorts of attacks so see if you can identify her. If you can she needs to. She needs to be removed for a couple of weeks before putting back in where she will start at the bottom of the pecking order. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joolz68

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 18:16 »
Hi sassy,thanks,no cockrel i rehomed sid a while back and alls been fine if not better since hes gone.
I checked her vent,its stopped bleeding but there is what looks to be a thin strip of lining(maybe)partially hanging  out  :unsure: I bathed her with warm water,dried it best i could,sudocremed lightly around the edge.I didnt see any lice but i can always go in for a closer look with magnifying glass...maybe in a diff area thou  :lol:
She is eating and drinking thou  :)
Ive put lilac back in with the others as she is not too serious,its prob as you say new buds and the others pulling them out,i will check she is no worse all morning tomo, also today 1 hen was dust bathing and 2 others were plucking out her soft  feathers :ohmy: she wasnt even bothered! so no its not just the hen i marked on the neck,theyve got me worried sick :( Tuna i will fetch from the shop at school run time,thank you x
I will also rub them down with diatom earth just in case :D

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:32 »
It may be that the hen with the poorly bottom has had a prolapse? As I am sure you are doing just keep an eye. I don,t think rubbing your hen down with diatom will help, I don't think it works like that - although I stand to be corrected.  :)

joolz68

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29 »
It may be that the hen with the poorly bottom has had a prolapse? As I am sure you are doing just keep an eye. I don,t think rubbing your hen down with diatom will help, I don't think it works like that - although I stand to be corrected.  :)
Thats what im thinking,ive been googling prolapse,she even laid yesterday bless :ohmy:
 I dont know if its shear bad luck sassy but this morning i recieved another blood drenched egg from another hen which hasnt even got a feather missing,ive bathed and purple sprayed her as her vent didnt seem bad.
They was wormed about 3 months back with flubenvet,if it isnt prolaspe do you think it could be anything else internal?? I keep googling just in case  ;) x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:43 »
check your coop for redmites, if they have left blood spots around your chickens vents then this will encourage packing - or if any are still around in the morning because they will be red after feeding.
When I had redmites in my old wooden coups sometimes the eggs would have blood smears on them
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:44 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

joolz68

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:05 »
check your coop for redmites, if they have left blood spots around your chickens vents then this will encourage packing - or if any are still around in the morning because they will be red after feeding.
When I had redmites in my old wooden coups sometimes the eggs would have blood smears on them
Thanks joyful,i have checked for red mite but not found any,i do spray with thyme & neem oil a few times a week and jeyes inbetween to try and prevent them,ive not had them in the main coop as yet but i did have them in another about sept  :(
Im thinking its prolapse,just been reading more about it,not sure how old either hen is or what conditions they have endured on their journey to me,i think its a wait and see problem but im prepared for the worst senario,ive not been assured on what ive googled that they will fully recover :(
I think lubricating all the flocks  vents  was mentioned whilst googling but im not sure if that would help?x

joolz68

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:26 »
Update.... ive just been to top up feeders etc and ive got another blood caked  egg!i cant see any evidence on the others but which ever it is that will be the 3rd hen now  :( i cant seperate them as i only have 1 spare coop for sick bay and thats got one in.
Im now wondering if i have a vent pecking bully and its not prolaspe   :unsure:

joolz68

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 22:41 »
Definatley vent pecking,2 out of 3 in sick bay i think will make,the other has a huge red mass hanging out so not sure,checking and purple spraying the other 2 in the main coop,cant do no more for them,i dont have room to house another vent pecked or put the ones doing anywhere,sad senerio im having to deal with  :( i feel so powerless  :( :( :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 08:08 »
remove the one that is vent pecking for a few weeks, this will give the other girls time to recover and also mover her lower down the pecking order. Use purple spray on all of the others to disguise any redness.
Also ensure they aren't laying weak or soft shelled eggs, if they are make sure they not only have grit but crushed oyster shell - the grit only helps grind their food up in the crops, the oyster shell provides calcium for hard shells. Provide greens to help them absorb the calcium.
If they have laid a soft shelled one which has broken then you need to make sure that it has all come out before an infection sets in.

xx
Submissive Hen Pecked Lavender Pekin - Blood drawn!!!

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 11:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
feather pecking

Started by robinson on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 09:11
by chickenlady
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Feather pecking

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 21:40
by beulah59

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 28 queries.