should they be laying or is something wrong

• 10 Replies

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
should they be laying or is something wrong
« on: February 08, 2014, 16:55 »
hi i got 3 copper maran hens about the 22nd of october at supposedly point of lay, they never laid a egg or havent since. they all have really red combs now but still no eggs :unsure: should they be laying by now or is it too early, keep going in there hoping to see a egg or two but nothing. ive put a nest box in about 3 weeks ago. i also have the hen i found in my garden but her comb is pinkish still. there fed on layers with corn and veggies and a bit of bread every day and are eating loads  what do you think x

ghost61

Re: should they be laying or is something wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 17:39 »
I understand that Marans are slow to mature, so it sounds like you won't have long to wait! I'd cut out the bread, though. Guess they have grit too?

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 17:47 »
As Ghost says, try cutting them down to layers pellets/mash only.  They're probably finding it too cosy to want to lay!  Lots of water and grit.   Won't be long! :nowink:

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 18:02 »
hi thanks guys guess i spoil them a bit ;), they make me feel guilty when i go out tho getting all excited. there eating loads of layers filled a carrier bag full up yday  in there feeder and its nearly gone between four hens. they have grit down, got fingers xd  now for getting a egg or two soon  :D

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 18:09 »
The weather can also effect laying - some of my hens started laying late January but as the weather got worse they stopped again.

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 18:44 »
They do eat a lot! My three get through less than a pound of pellets a day. They get some treats, sunflower seeds, and corn in the afternoons on some days.  They lay every day, as they are not yet a year old. I'm sure you'll get some eggs soon, but I would cut down the pellets as fat hens won't lay either!

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 19:39 »
thanks springlands and ghost its odd there not fat you would think they would be tho lol!, they look in good health dont know where there putting it unless rats or mice are pinching some :unsure: i will try and take a pic of them tommorow weather permitting! will prob be blowing a galea and pouring down just for a change! x

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 20:04 »
I wonder if they need worming?  I got my 4 POL in mid September and within a week or two started to lay.  I was very happy with the 22 eggs a week and in mid-November decided to worm them ready for winter even though I didn't think they needed it - egg production shot up to 26-28 a week thereafter  :ohmy:   I was told that most likely all that food they eat now is going towards egg production instead of staving off hunger

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 20:15 »
hi babby i wormed them about 5 weeks ago if that, on the  layers with flubivent so been done was only fed on that for the week as told by the suppliers. wanted to make sure they were done before they started laying x

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 23:35 »
Layers should be fed ad lib. As suggested I would cut everything else out and definitely not bread. It is normal for pol hens bought in late summer/autumn not to lay until spring. :)

They need oyster shell as well as grit. These two things have different functions. :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 23:37 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

splash101

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 16:08 »
Point of lay can mean  as early as 16 weeks of age. Different breeds lay at different rates.

My silkies were 26 weeks old before they started laying.

I dont think you will have long to wait especially as the days are finally getting a bit longer and you have noticed the red combs.

And of course, no you have posted on here, they will be listening  :D

xx
Shell-less Eggs and Laying in the Wrong Place

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 10:41
by Pony Girl
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang

Page created in 0.679 seconds with 36 queries.