Sunflowers

• 3 Replies

georget

Sunflowers
« on: January 30, 2014, 14:47 »
Last year i grew some giant sunflowers for the grandchildren and then tried to dry them out with a view to trying to feed them to the hens as a treat.However they went mouldy instead of drying but I think it was possibly because it was late in the year (september) when I put them in the shed.So I am now thinking of just giving them the whole flower heads when they have flowered.Im sure someone will let me know if this is not a good idea, can they eat them before they dry out or could they be harmful? :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 17:48 »
I'm not so sure hens will eat sunflower seeds with the shells on, fresh or dried :unsure:  They don't have the right beaks for seed cracking and I'm not sure they would want to swallow the shells.  They do go wild for sunflower seed hearts, as any chicken owner who has tried to feed wild birds will testify.  Death defying stunts go on to get to them   ::)  :lol:

Sunflower seeds are very high in fat though, so not ideal chicken feed.  Maybe hang them up for the wild birds and let your hens have an odd treat of corn instead  :)

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 17:56 »
Just search you tube for 'Chickens devouring a sunflower' That should put you mind at ease. I've given then sunflowers in the past and they just love them. No harm done!

Orchard lady

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42 »
however do bear in mind what New Shoot has already said they are high in fat and this is not good for poultry so should be given in moderation.
Wild birds need far more calories than our hens do as they are a lot more active having to fly around to get enough food to eat to help keep them warm and survive (you can liken this to how many calories an athlete needs compared to a person who does little or no exercise).
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Sunflowers for chooks

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 20:10
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.629 seconds with 38 queries.