How bad is carpet?

• 15 Replies

Mum2mj

How bad is carpet?
« on: January 19, 2014, 08:36 »
At least one bed (approx 15ft x 6ft) has carpet under membrane & could have been there for several years. The carpet appears to have disintegrated a lot but I've not been able to look properly. I have cleared out a lot of carpet already but this was mostly rolled up & left in various places which I'm not as concerned with.
I'm hesitant to grow crops here in case there's any residual chemicals etc does anyone have any advice for me?
Thankyou!

Nobbie

Re: How bad is carpet?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:55 »
I wouldn't be too concerned as it's likely that most chemicals from the carpet have been washed through if its been down a few years assuming the membrane on top wasn't waterproof. Just remove it carefully to try and keep it in large pieces. If you're still worried, then let it lie fallow for a year and see how the weeds grow, but I doubt they'll be a problem.

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 16:25 »
i found a fair amount of buried carpet in my new plot/ garden. the trouble i found was that when trying to remove it's actually just threads of almost nylon string where it's broken down. personally i just pulled as much up as i could, you'll prob get some for many years to come every time you dig through.

as far as chemicals i can't see there being a problem with it. i grew tomatoes, cucumbers, marrow and melon through carpet (as a weed suppressant and moisture retainer) last year with excellent results, so assuming no chemical issues. i also remember my grandad always covered his compost heap with carpet, think a lot of old boys have done this for years and they usually have the most productive plot.

i'll be watching responses to these as i'm planing to use more carpet as weed suppressant/ moisture retainer this year.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 16:27 »

'Tis the very Divvil getting the warps or wefts from a strimmer head! ! !

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

barley

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 18:19 »
I use old carpet

The trick to using it is cut it into manageable squares or strips , use a lighter to melt edges so they don't fray and  lay it pile side down and hessian side up ( looks tidier and can be swept with a stiff broom ) 

it makes a brilliant temporary path or weed suppressant - I only use it during summer months
remove it about late sept / oct and dry off in sunshine ( hang on fences or gates is a good way to dry )
pop in shed for winter in tidy pile ready for next year

this is just my opinion and I know last time I mentioned carpet it ruffled a few feathers on here , but used responsibly it will not cause a problem and lasts for many many years and above all its free  :D

savbo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 15:13 »
...  lay it pile side down and hessian side up ( looks tidier and can be swept with a stiff broom ) 

Hessian! You're obviously using a better quality carpet than the hoipolloi! We had to cope with foam-backed nylon carpets, just horrible to clear...

I have several industrial carpets, without any backing, that work really well and move around the plot, but fully understand the concern...

sav

4 Seasons

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 17:06 »
Good advise from barley. If you lay it as a whole carpet when it gets sodden it's almost impossible to deal with. That's probably why it gets left to rot and cause problems.

crh75

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 17:10 »
Each time it rains who knows what kind of chemicals are leached into the soil to be taken up by you veggies.  Not for me!

Yana

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 17:57 »
I've recently finished clearing a half plot of the remaining carpet tiles that were used for paths. They were left by the previous plot holder who had used then throughout the plot. They had a thick rubber backing and this stopped the weeds but when they got wet they were slippery and smelt awful. They started to grow algae and so they had to go. The paths are now bark chippings over a permeable membrane.
Lots of plot holders still use carpet, particularly to cover their compost bins. I don't even use it there now, instead using a tarpaulin weighted down with bricks.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 20:32 »
At least one bed (approx 15ft x 6ft) has carpet under membrane & could have been there for several years. The carpet appears to have disintegrated a lot but I've not been able to look properly. I have cleared out a lot of carpet already but this was mostly rolled up & left in various places which I'm not as concerned with.
I'm hesitant to grow crops here in case there's any residual chemicals etc does anyone have any advice for me?
Thankyou!

Hi there,
My plot has 1-2 layers of carpet buried in it here and therte, which have been there for 5 years. I'm getting out as much as I can, but like yours, lots of it is down to clumps of threads and I can't get all of it out bar sieving it. I grew PSB in a bed with fetching red threads, which seems to have done ok.

I personally wouldn't put carpet on anywhere I want to grow something I would eat, or next to crops either. I don't know whether the fire retardants etc in the carpet would be taken up by crops, but given the choice I'd rather not try it.

Lots of people on my site do use it though, and they haven't keeled over yet.
Hope that ramble is of some use!  :D

Mum2mj

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 21:31 »

[/quote]

Hi there,
My plot has 1-2 layers of carpet buried in it here and therte, which have been there for 5 years. I'm getting out as much as I can, but like yours, lots of it is down to clumps of threads and I can't get all of it out bar sieving it. I grew PSB in a bed with fetching red threads, which seems to have done ok.

I personally wouldn't put carpet on anywhere I want to grow something I would eat, or next to crops either. I don't know whether the fire retardants etc in the carpet would be taken up by crops, but given the choice I'd rather not try it.

Lots of people on my site do use it though, and they haven't keeled over yet.
Hope that ramble is of some use!  :
[/quote]

That doesn't bode well for me - I inherited the plot from someone who did keel over on it!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 21:59 »
That doesn't bode well for me - I inherited the plot from someone who did keel over on it!

Yes, me too.  :unsure:

4 Seasons

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 13:34 »
Death by carpet.

At least he had a soft landing.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 15:18 »
My allotment site (owned by the National Trust) bans the use of carpet.  Mind you they ban almost everything including old DVDs as bird scarers, gravel paths, bonfires, etc etc.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 18:42 »
It's banned on all our council sites for the various reasons listed in posts above.

I know of one person who sustained a slipped disc trying to remove old carpet from his new lotty.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
carpet

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 15:52
by wellingtons
xx
Just took up some carpet

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 10:13
by Kimberley04
question
Carpet

Started by Nufan182 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 16:53
by Nufan182
xx
carpet on plot

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 15:28
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 36 queries.