Carpet

• 3 Replies

Nufan182

Carpet
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:36 »
Good morning all,

I have just recently taken on a second allotment plot. It was covered with polythene and for the most part the soil is incredibly good. I have ph tested it and all seems well for the produce I would like to grow. However, on digging it over, I found burned carpet. Will I need to do anything to the ground prior to planting? It looked like it was rubber backed if that would make any difference.

The previous tenant paid for their plot but never used it. Just covered it over.

Hope this makes sense and look forward to hearing from you all.

Nufan
An allotment newbie. I love my allotment, I am not sure it feels the same about me :)

Dopey113

Re: Carpet
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 15:23 »
I hate carpet, its OK for people to use it, but then they leave it behind for others to clean up when the no longer want the plot and its up to the next owner to get rid of it.... like seriously it should be banned from using it in an allotment, and its not environmentally friendly as well, you throw it away in clumps and has mud and dirt on it, so how can you recycle that? it will go strait in to land fill, if its a new off cut, then it can be recyclable
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 15:28 »
If it was rubber or foam backed it could well have leached chemicals into the soil, not good. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Nufan182

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 16:53 »
Hello,

Thank you for your replies  :)

I have cleared the remainder of the plot and found another two car trips worth to take to the tip!! I am not a happy chappy. I have also bagged the burnt carpet remains and as much of the potentially 'contaminated' soil as possible.

Are there any tests, other than seeing how my crops grow/harvest (fingers crossed), I could undertake?

Nufan

xx
carpet

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 15:52
by wellingtons
xx
Just took up some carpet

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 10:13
by Kimberley04
xx
How bad is carpet?

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 10:15
by Mum2mj
xx
carpet on plot

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 15:28
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.84 seconds with 36 queries.