Just took up some carpet

• 3 Replies

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
Just took up some carpet
« on: July 21, 2009, 20:56 »
I've just took over a very neglected allotment site and have spent a solid week clearing a small section where I sadly found some carpet.

I've managed to get the carpet up now, but the soil underneath is more like concrete.  Not a worm or weed in site, the carpet must have been down for years.  My question is, what is the best way to get this earth ready for planting again?

I thought about forking in some well rotted manure, the stuff I have access to is covered in hay as well, and I was wondering would I have to take all this out?

How long will it be before this soil is ready to grow things?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Just took up some carpet
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 22:08 »
Sorry to hear about your plot and the vile carpet  >:(.

First there's the question about the compacted soil.  That will need breaking up.

Do you know anyone with a rotavator?  If so, that will help break the soil up but if it's as solid as you describe - even after some rain - you'll probably have to at least fork / dig over the surface to allow the rotavator to gain access.  Otherwise it's just digging I'm afraid in order to improve the structure of the soil.  And try not to walk all over the dug bits.

Then you can improve the soil structure - by adding organic matter of some sort.  If you know a source of well-rotted manure which can guarantee it's free of aminopyralid (a herbicide which affects the growth of certain veggies including spuds and beans), then add as much of that as is feasible.  Otherwise old compost from pots or a compost heap will do fine.

As for the hay question, not sure - I doubt it would rot down over the winter but others may feel it's worth applying anyway.

If you manage to get most of the digging done before winter, and leave the soil in big clods over the winter for the weather to get at, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to plant stuff next spring.  :D

And if you want autumn sown garlic, concentrate on getting that bit ready before October-ish  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 07:06 »
My only concern about using hay would be the risk of introducing lots of seed ... which will pop up and cause you problems next year... ???... although I guess most would be annuals and pull out easily.  ::)  Mayif you dig two spits deep and introduce the hay to the bottom layer that would deal with the hayseed. Good luck with the plot!  :)
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13 »
Right ok - thankyou both for the advice
x

question
Carpet

Started by Nufan182 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 16:53
by Nufan182
xx
How bad is carpet?

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 10:15
by Mum2mj
xx
carpet

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 15:52
by wellingtons
xx
carpet on plot

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 15:28
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 36 queries.