Questions about growing onions from seed

• 5 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Questions about growing onions from seed
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:32 »
Hi everyone,

I've read up a bit on how to grow onions from seed and also looked at some of the threads on the subject, but there a few basic things which I am a little confused about. 

When first planting the seeds, what type of container is best to use initially - is it those trays with little sections?

If so, would it be one seed per section?

Then which sized container would then go in once they get bigger?

I have seen modules referenced and I assumed this was the name for the trays with multiple little sections, but then I read a thread where someone referred to germinating their seeds and then later on transferring them to modules, which would infer that seeds are initially planted into something other than modules?  If so, what would this be?

Finally, I'm still not quite sure what pricking out means - and what would it mean in the context of onion seeds?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Thanks.

Goosegirl

Re: Questions about growing onions from seed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 14:11 »
GardenShed - when you are new to this, or even when you are experienced, no question is stupid. I suggest sowing your onion seeds into pots, or plastic trays from the supermarket (whatever you have) that are about 4" deep to give the long-ish roots a good start. Pricking out means gently lifting the individual seedlings by going down into the pot with some sort of slim scooping tool that enables you to lift the seedling out without too much damage to its roots, though some might break off, but don't worry about that. The seedlings should be ready for this when they have about 3 leaves. You can also tip the pot out and separate the seedlings from the compost. Have a larger and deeper pot ready with gently-firmed compost and transfer each seedling into a ready-made hole (pencils or dowels are good for this). Either use your thumb and first finger to firm the seedling in (mind the stem) or push your dibber against its side. You can also use small modules, but not the tiny ones you get plug plants in. Use ones that are 24 to the tray, then put the trays into a container of water to "set" the seedlings but don't let them get too wet - they won't need a lot of water at this stage. All pricking-out means that the seedlings (veg and flowers) need more space to grow, so you just transfer them individually to another pot or module tray. Hope this helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 14:56 »
Yes that's very helpful thankyou.  I got a bit confused when I read (or possibly misread) someone saying they were transferring seedlings to modules, as I thought modules is where you start the seeds off.

I understood most of your post apart from the bit about putting the tray in water - can you explain a little more?  I presume you are referring to the black plastic trays with little modules / sections, which I presumably start off by filling with compost.  Do you then mean I simply water?

Thanks for the advice.

bravemurphy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 19:58 »
Rather than water from the top over the seedlings and disturb them again  I too think it is better to dip the tray that the seedlings are now  in, in water  and let the compost soak up the water.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:12 »
Yes that's right. You can use a seed tray without holes or something similar, then you fill it about a quarter or, at most, a third-full with water (the bigger the watering tray, the less water you need in it) and place your pots or trays in it. Re- trays - yes, you can use modules, or just a supermarket plastic container like you get grapes in - these will use less compost as well and save you fiddling with sowing single seeds into each module. If using pots, make sure they don't float or they will tip over and get too wet. You can add a bit more water if needed. It won't take long for the water to seep up to the top of the compost - you can tell because the surface will start to darken and it will feel damp to the fingers - so keep an eye out and don't leave them unattended or they may get too wet. The compost can lift slightly out of the pot, especially if it was a bit on the dry side, but just use your fingers and gently firm back down. When the top feels damp, lift the trays or pots out and let them drain before moving to their growing place.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:41 »
If sowing into trays or pots, you need to transplant them at the crook neck stage ideally, at this point the seedling has one root therefore you are less likely to damage lots of roots that have had chance to tangle up. They will establish in the new pots better.
Alternatively, and my preference, is to sow into modules, 40 per seedtray size, and let them develop in the modules until a good root system is in place. This saves all the hassle of pricking out and potting on dozens of plants and gives you more robust plants to handle.

Totty

xx
growing onions from seed

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 06:46
by m1ckz
xx
Growing onions from seed?

Started by Lisa62 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 17:30
by GreyScales
xx
Growing onions from seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2006, 20:49
by Oliveview
xx
Growing Onions from seed - help please!

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:11
by maxibo

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 28 queries.