Growing onions from seed?

• 22 Replies

Lisa62

Growing onions from seed?
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:59 »
I'm considering planting onion seeds rather than sets for overwintering.  I understand that they need sowing now for October planting out.  Apart from it being cheaper, are there any benefits or should I take the easy option and buy sets?  Any tips for successful germination?
Thanks.
Runner up Bray Best Kept Allotment 2013!  🌱

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Growing onions from seed?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10 »
You will have to make sure you find the correct winter growing type - normally a Japanese variety.. I personally have never seen winter seed and always use sets but not searched for them either. One bag of sets at a couple of quid is less hassle and easier.. I've also just got too much on the go in the veg patch to nurse any seedlings...

I plant a bag of sets normally mid September and start eating them as green onions on 1st may each year. (As soon as they are finished I plant some cabbages in their spot). They are just used as a filler gap for a month before the main onion crop are at an edible green onion size and not used to store at all because they dont store well.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:16 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:34 »
Senshyu Yellow Globe is an overwintering one,
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/veg-on.htm

the seeds are quite easy to find on-line  ;) You can start them in modules, outside - or sow direct and thin out.
I think they make stronger plants because they are well grown and acclimatised before the cooler weather arrives.

Early Spring sowings always look a bit hopeless and weedy, but my late Summer sowings always seem a lot stronger ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26 »
I'm sowing some! I should have done so on the 18th but I forgot  :nowink:  These are the Paris Early White over-wintering ones.  Apparently if you sow them now they get chance to grow slowly over winter and can make large onions

I'm doing sets as well, Radar I think. Belt and braces approach here  :)

I've already sown some overwintering salad onions too (Winter White Lisbon) and I've also sneaked in some Purplettes.  You can never have enough onions can you  :)

Godhelm

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:49 »
I have Ailsa Craig seeds from Marshalls and North Holland Bloodred Redmate from Suttons, so seeds are not difficult to source. Both have September as the sowing month (or October for Ailsa Craig) but I am planning to sow them soon.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:32 »
I sowed some Sturon onion seeds on the 18th in the hope they survive the winter.  I'll plant some sets in the spring as I won't hold my breath for the Sturon.  They are "quite cold-hardy" so not sure they'll survive our cold winter if its as prolonged as last year.  It's my first year trying this so not actually sure if I'm doing it right, I sowed directly and covered with a double layer of fleece.  Should I have sown them indoors and is the fleece necessary?
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:38 »
The New Hollands are lovely and so quick! 

Godhelm

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42 »
I must say that I'm a bit confused on the instructions for the North Holland Bloodred Redmate (see attachment). Clearly they can be sown in September, but the instructions say that for bulb onions (which is what I want) they are best sown in March/April indoors and then planted out 'eventually'! If I sow in September, can I only use them as salad onions harvesting in March/April next year, or can I leave them to grow on to be bulb onions? Or should I just follow the instructions ('RTFM') and sow them in March/April?  Maybe they would bolt if sown in Autumn.
North Holland Bloodred Redmate.JPG

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 22:55 »
Daamoot and Godhelm, I'm no onion expert, but I don't think Ailsa and Sturon are outside over-winter onions :unsure:   Show growers might sow them as early as late autumn under cover and under lights.  I might be wrong though and happy to be put right by those that know better :unsure:   :D

Winter onions are a lottery for me, but sets in pots rather than in the ground, seem to have worked better this season.  I'll concentrate on seeds for summer onions sown in January as these seem to be better than sets. Maybe try over winter seeds next year.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 23:13 »
Daamoot and Godhelm, I'm no onion expert, but I don't think Ailsa and Sturon are outside over-winter onions :unsure:   Show growers might sow them as early as late autumn under cover and under lights.  I might be wrong though and happy to be put right by those that know better :unsure:   :D

Winter onions are a lottery for me, but sets in pots rather than in the ground, seem to have worked better this season.  I'll concentrate on seeds for summer onions sown in January as these seem to be better than sets. Maybe try over winter seeds next year.
I stand to be corrected but I think both are normally sown on boxing day for showing  :) undercover and indeed maybe with lights  :)
I cook therefore I grow

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 23:20 »
Lisa Im so glad you asked this question!  I share a plot with two friends, we are in our second year, and trying to get the balance right of growing enough of the right stuff for everyone.  We tried sets last year but we have been led to believe growing onions from seed is difficult!  I'm thinking it is not shroulded in the mystery that we have been told  ::) Can we sow onion seeds outside in modules now to plant out when big enough and then just leave 'in situ' to harvest? I'm very confused   :ohmy:

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16 »
Thanks for the info Shoozie and sparkyrog.  I'll sow some more indoors around the holidays and they can replace them if the others fail.  I want a lot of large bulbs without having to buy so many sets but atleast they'll be available as a contingency in spring.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:32 »
Can we sow onion seeds outside in modules now to plant out when big enough and then just leave 'in situ' to harvest? I'm very confused   :ohmy:

Yes, as I said above - just make sure they are over-wintering ones.

Godhelm

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36 »
l am following the instructions from Marshalls on Ailsa Craig onions: http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/mobile/onion-seeds-ailsa-craig-pid2349.html#growing

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 08:39 »
l am following the instructions from Marshalls on Ailsa Craig onions: http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/mobile/onion-seeds-ailsa-craig-pid2349.html#growing

I think the Sept and Oct green line is a glitch and was copied and pasted from another type!! .. AC is a summer onion..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:40 by gavinjconway »

xx
Growing onions from seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2006, 20:49
by Oliveview
xx
growing onions from seed

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 06:46
by m1ckz
xx
Growing Onions from seed - help please!

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:11
by maxibo
xx
Questions about growing onions from seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 12:41
by Totty

Page created in 0.79 seconds with 38 queries.