What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Snoop

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1260 on: July 04, 2014, 16:05 »
Picked the last load of broad beans and had a go at turning some of the soil over. Even with standing on either the fork or the spade I can't get into it!  :ohmy: This is not going to be fun. Have come home for a rest and to get out of the sun.

I know the feeling!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #1261 on: July 04, 2014, 21:41 »
Planted lots more spuds  :D
really?  I'd like to do that too.  When will they be ready and are they a special variety?
planted some albert  bartlett red rooster,saxon,desiree,kerrs pink,pentland dell,pentland hawk and maris piper,2 inches tall already im hoping they be ready sept/oct sometime.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 21:42 by 3 allotments »
diggity dig dig

Snoop

« Reply #1262 on: July 05, 2014, 08:53 »
Last night, potted up peppers and started off more dwarf French beans.

This morning, planted out climbing beans, dug over and raked a new bed. Had to chase Bridey off the beans several times. She might finish them off before the spider mite do. Need to find some kind of protection till she can't get at the growing tips at least.

beesrus

« Reply #1263 on: July 05, 2014, 18:04 »
Popped up to see the effect of the rain. Thought about doing the 5 or 6 hours of work needed to sow second carrot and pea crops, sort the greenhouse, and get the plot a bit ship shape. Decided not to bother and head for the coast path instead. I'll do it tomorrow  ::) I'm getting more like the cat every day.

Lardman

« Reply #1264 on: July 06, 2014, 09:53 »
Planted lots more spuds  :D
really?  I'd like to do that too.  When will they be ready and are they a special variety?
planted some albert  bartlett red rooster,saxon,desiree,kerrs pink,pentland dell,pentland hawk and maris piper,2 inches tall already im hoping they be ready sept/oct sometime.

Old bloke next to me used to do 2 plantings, you'll be fine if you can keep the blight off them.

Pulled the castano garlic - bit of a mixed bag some good sized others supermarket size. Digging the bed over though the wood started to fall apart  :(  Seems 5 years is all Im going to get out of them.  Which means a bit of a rethink before I put the leeks in as everything will need changing / replacing over winter.

Snoop

« Reply #1265 on: July 06, 2014, 10:05 »
Last night: water up from well and a huge watering session. Mr Snoop gave the melons a right good dowsing, all over the leaves. Shame as they're starting to get a fungal disease after all the rain... Am keeping shtum. Will be out with the copper-sulphate early next week to keep it all in check.

Very optimistic this morning: started off some more sweetcorn in paper pots. One year I started some on 23 June and it was ready by early September. Really surprised me. Am really pushing it this time though. First frost mid-October, though daytime temps will still be warm... Will note in diary so I remember.

pompeyboy61

« Reply #1266 on: July 06, 2014, 13:43 »
Down to the plot after a week away. How things can change. Neighbour collected Courgettes for me , to stop them becoming marrows. Picked  purple and green dwarf beans, gooseberries ( excellent year for these ) beet root , last of broad beans ,first main crop potatoes , just checking by pulling up one plant. Now sign of any blight on the site. Now at home to start freezing whilst watching the Grand Prix.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1267 on: July 06, 2014, 13:57 »
Now at home to start freezing whilst watching the Grand Prix.

Plenty of time to do your freezing! ::) :D

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1268 on: July 06, 2014, 14:38 »
Weeded and picked a few raspberries that were ripe, plucked a few carrots and turnips and picked the mangetout that were ready.   ;)

grendel

« Reply #1269 on: July 06, 2014, 16:05 »
spent all of yesterday mixing concrete for the conservatory base, with the plan to pop to the plot this morning, it only stopped raining here about an hour ago.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #1270 on: July 06, 2014, 18:21 »
Tied up the fruit bushes, picked blackcurrants again. Weeded, dibbed in a small batch of leeks. Pulled turnips and cursed at the woodlice. Disturbed an ants nest in the beetroot bed, re-sowed some beets in the bed quick before the ants got me. Planted some kale, picked a cucumber ( the first ) had two cups of tea with a fellow plotter. Took up a small bed of spuds. 15lb not bad seen as they had gone iver to blight.
Picked toms, picked a cabbage. Came home and cooked a huge dinner

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #1271 on: July 06, 2014, 20:01 »
Got soaked to the bone digging taties  :mad: but we really needed the rain ,thank you up there  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #1272 on: July 06, 2014, 20:45 »
Popped along this afternoon to pick raspberries for a cocktail  ::)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1273 on: July 06, 2014, 21:10 »
Hard day today done some digging 8ft by 8ft, the mud was very very hard, fork would only just go in it, coming up in big blocks, added manure & compost mixed with woodchip, very hard to break down into small pieces,

Got told today by anther allotmentie that the last person who had my plot never dug it has he had a bad back he just put manure on top of the seeds he wanted to use 

Also told today I cant light my fire  because the corner house over the road complains she cant open her windows, it was 630pm when I was going to light the fire.

Been told to put a pallet in the corner and put the long bundles of grass on that then put anther pallet on top and leave it there. what a joke.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1274 on: July 06, 2014, 21:30 »
Mowed the grass paths (my manual lawnmower is my new favourite toy!), did lots more weeding, harvested some French beans, runners a cabbage and rhubarb. Need to sort out the strawberry bed - if has turned into a strawberry plant jungle!

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post June 02, 2024, 12:15
by Hampshire Hog
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 32 queries.