What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1245 on: June 30, 2014, 23:19 »
Lots of watering, everything is dry.  The broad bean tops were drooping and all growth has slowed to a stop just about.
Anne

Snoop

« Reply #1246 on: July 01, 2014, 10:07 »
Planted out my purple sprouting very early this morning and took the shears to a load of weeds in among the aubergines and peppers. Watered the sweetcorn and onions in the winter veg patch. So glad I planted these onions: Fuentes and really good at this time of year in salads. Counted the winter squash that have formed and looked at a huge flush of male flowers, which have come after a huge flush of female flowers. You'd think plants would somehow manage to get their flowers a bit more co-ordinated.

Late last night dug up and weeded ground to put a dozen lettuce in. Plants bought by Mr Snoop at JM's. Looking good this morning, they were. Hope they survive the sun today.

grendel

« Reply #1247 on: July 01, 2014, 12:12 »
Having not been down for over 2 weeks because life seemed to get in the way I was worried about what I would find.... Ragwort and willow herb were attempting to take over the world  :mad: so spent both days this weekend doing LOTS of weeding. I can't wait for my hoe to arrive as I could barely move my back last night!

I also dug up a third of my potatoes, harvested the small amount of gooseberries (only their first year so am pleased) and the last of the peas.

Despaired at the state of the onions and the rubbish germination of beetroot again. All brassicas doing well though.
I know the feeling - I haven't been able to get down for a couple of weeks, as I have to fill the base for the conservatory with concrete, unfortunately we cant get a mixer into the garden so its all getting mixed manually in a wheelbarrow.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1248 on: July 01, 2014, 17:44 »
Lifted the winter onions that have turned over and put them to dry, still about half standing bolt upright.

Picked Jessy and Excellenz peas. Picked half a bucketful of Red Epicure broad beans.

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1249 on: July 02, 2014, 15:11 »
Watered!
Started weeding the mess that is my raspberry patch. Got to just prune some canes back now, so get more fruit instead.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1250 on: July 02, 2014, 16:06 »
Took some bricks and blocks down to the allotment that I scrounged from a local building site!
I will put them in place tomorrow.

AnneB

« Reply #1251 on: July 02, 2014, 16:34 »

Filled up 2 petrol cans and delivered for allotment society machinery.

Watered.   Fed maincrop potatoes with chicken manure pellets.  Testing if the fox is still around!

Wondered at the 2 tiny okra that have appeared on my one tiny okra plant in the little polytunnel.  Also have some v small sweet yellow peppers and a yellow chilli pepper, some cucumbers and 4 little tomatoes showing.

Sprayed pak choi, mizuna and komatsuna to try and get rid of the flea beetle.   Really odd, we never have flea beetle on our plot, but my daughter's plot a hundred yards away is riddled with it.

Dug out the Pentland Javelins and Charlottes 2 weeks after cutting the haulms down for blight.  Obviously smaller crop than expected, but they seem OK.

Planted out cavolo nero kale and a couple of lettuces.   Harvested lots of soft fruit and Wizard field beans.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1252 on: July 02, 2014, 17:58 »
Dug up my Lady Cristal spuds in case they're sick - pretty good crop underneath the soil ;)
Picked a huge amount of broad beans.

Charged up the strimmer - will need to cut the grass up there tomorrow  ::)

Snoop

« Reply #1253 on: July 03, 2014, 11:34 »
Dug and raked a bed for more peppers. Babs decided it was a good place for a dust bath so promptly scattered it all everywhere.

Dug up the last of the Dunluces. Found a few slugs and other assorted beasties but no damage to the potatoes, which look fantastic. Bridey decided to gobble up the unexpected treat.

Started weeding a bed for more French beans but got too hot, so gave up.

Not a very productive session really, apart from the potatoes.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1254 on: July 03, 2014, 15:48 »
Installed three blue barrels next to the shed, just have to get the guttering done now! Used some of the bricks/blocks I scrounged yesterday.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1255 on: July 03, 2014, 16:00 »
Dug over the last area in the bottom of the plot and planted out Tuscan Kale baby plants or 'plantlings' as I like to call them. :)
Planted out some more lettuce seedlings in various gaps,

Made the insect mesh framework over the PSB taller as I got some new mesh today and it was a bit bigger tha what I had already, so hopefully that we cover them right through the winter.

Strimmed the grass at the top of the plot. Will get this bit sorted out one day but I need the new shed first.

Jackypam

« Reply #1256 on: July 03, 2014, 20:47 »
Planted lots more spuds  :D
really?  I'd like to do that too.  When will they be ready and are they a special variety?

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1257 on: July 03, 2014, 21:24 »
Watered parts of the plot I missed from the last time.
Sowed 2 rows of carrots, spring onions and flat leaved parsley.

Snoop

« Reply #1258 on: July 04, 2014, 10:00 »
Finished weeding the bed for French beans, planted out peppers and white aubergines. Started weeding pea bed, but ground far too soft after yet more rain last night.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1259 on: July 04, 2014, 13:31 »
Picked the last load of broad beans and had a go at turning some of the soil over. Even with standing on either the fork or the spade I can't get into it!  :ohmy: This is not going to be fun. Have come home for a rest and to get out of the sun.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post June 02, 2024, 12:15
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.815 seconds with 38 queries.