What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #840 on: April 30, 2014, 17:16 »
Dug over a patch of 'wilderness ', erected a fence and wire supports system and planted out 2 tayberries, a boysenberry, loganberry and two thornless blackberries.

Checked over fruit trees and noticed ants on one cherry tree, put down some ant powder and hopes it sorts the problem.

Checked the courgettes in the mini greenhouse, they looked rather sorry for themselves and were rather crispy round the edges. Gave them a good soaking and hope that sorts them out  :( have sowed some more as back up.

I noticed the peas have germinated and are starting to poke their heads out of the ground. I'm just glad the mice didn't get them :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #841 on: April 30, 2014, 18:09 »
dug over and laid some black weed membrane ready for the squashes later because I wanted to use the off-cuts to cover the paths as the grass is getting out of hand.  Did some heavy earth moving from the old compost heap and made a raised bed to use said dirt  8) 

-despatched another 20 or so slugs to sluggy heaven via some cheap cider; taking no prisoners this year.
-spotted 4 white fluttery things having a sniff around my broad beans; first ones I've seen this year (so far), pleased my brassicas are netted safely....

Nice old guy gave me a perfect large pointy spring cabbage on the way out the gate because 'he wanted the space to to put his spuds in'  :unsure: mine are showing...he told me to earth 'em up  :wub:

AnneB

« Reply #842 on: April 30, 2014, 20:15 »
Discovered water barrel linking arrangement is still leaking.  Hmmm.  Intruders overnight have stolen 3 peoples' seeds.  I keep mine at home.   Brought some home made compost from garden dalek and put in new raised bed on daughter's plot.  OH re-buried our hosepipe link to the tap, it had been uprooted by thieves intent on siphoning diesel from school building site next door.  Potatoes poking through, so earthed them up.   Sowed some more peas to fill in a couple of gaps.  Dug over a bed on daughter's plot.  Unearthed some volunteer Pink Fir Apple spuds along with lots of couch grass.   OH trimmed privet hedge.   Burned 1 of 3 huge tree trunks unearthed in excavations for polytunnel.  Harvested PSB.  Potted up some chives growing in middle of daughter's plot.  Put enviromesh over carrots and parsnips. 

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #843 on: April 30, 2014, 20:55 »
put orange mesh for the peas,wedded and poisoned paths at lotte i dont use much,mended friends strimmer  :)
diggity dig dig

ptarmigan

« Reply #844 on: May 01, 2014, 07:51 »
Sowed sugar snap and put in supports. Earthed up pots just in case of frost although it's unlikely here. Came home for BBQ tea.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #845 on: May 01, 2014, 10:43 »
Got loads of bind-weed out of my onion bed, and put the canes up for my climbing beans and planted out 9 "Amazing" cauliflower plants.  Now too hot for me to do any more :(
Now what shall I do today?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #846 on: May 01, 2014, 11:04 »
Removed part of the tarp covering the 'to be dug' bit last night and discovered Slug City. Need to get some cheap beer and start proper dispatching.

Set up the first bed frame on the sunny side of the plot - the soil still needs to dry out quite a bit before I can dig it properly, and it has so far been raining all day here.  ::)

At least it's ready for when I can.

Jackypam

« Reply #847 on: May 01, 2014, 13:00 »
Mike made the climbing frames for the Butternuts, and a couple of extra that aren't quite as tall, 1 will probably go to butternuts as well, and the other for the outdoor cues.
picture please.  OH just made munty frame and I might as well catch him in the building mood!
I sowed some Asparagus seed, potted out a few Strawbs into containers where the others hadn't taken and enjoyed the sunshine.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #848 on: May 01, 2014, 13:05 »
Mike made the climbing frames for the Butternuts, and a couple of extra that aren't quite as tall, 1 will probably go to butternuts as well, and the other for the outdoor cues.
picture please.  OH just made munty frame and I might as well catch him in the building mood!
I sowed some Asparagus seed, potted out a few Strawbs into containers where the others hadn't taken and enjoyed the sunshine.

Hi Jacky  - there are some pics in my diary. http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.15 Last post on page 2

Yet to go down the munty frame route as we tend to move the beans every year.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #849 on: May 01, 2014, 13:29 »

Hi Jacky  - there are some pics in my diary. http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.15 Last post on page 2

Yet to go down the munty frame route as we tend to move the beans every year.
Depending on how windy your site is - I built my munty frame with bamboo canes and few more solid poles, but I've taken it down and I'll put it back up elsewhere as I rotate my beans every year too ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #850 on: May 01, 2014, 15:42 »
Got there to plant the last potatoes out & remembered it was bonfire day, so that's what I did, when I could leave it I managed to get the doz broad bean plants I bought in March that were strong & sturdy, they're not so strong & sturdy now but they've got a chance. Heavens opened about 2 so I cleared up & came home.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #851 on: May 01, 2014, 16:00 »
Plodged!  Even the pond is under water. :(

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 16:04 by Annen »
Anne

Lardman

« Reply #852 on: May 01, 2014, 19:48 »
Finished putting the membrane down around the raised beds then off to been and queued for yet more bark chippings  :mad: I wish I'd have just used gravel, I thought bark would be cheaper / easier - I was wrong and what's more it will need doing again in 2 seasons >:(

Emptied out a bag of comfrey from last year in the top greenhouse border - had to leave quickly after it was so rank. Never mind a sulphur candle anything left in there which hasn't been gassed deserves to live !  ::)

jmc1949

« Reply #853 on: May 02, 2014, 08:22 »
Put up the small growhouse ready for the tomatoes. Weeded the carrots, beetroot and onions too.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #854 on: May 02, 2014, 08:52 »
nuffin for me on the plot this morning as I have a client here for a manicure & pedicure and I need my hands to be clean and smooth :D   Nothing either for tomorrow morning as I have another client for a reflexolgy treatment session.  It's all go here:)

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 30 queries.