Porridge Oats good or bad for them???

• 5 Replies

cbv8

Porridge Oats good or bad for them???
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:21 »
Hi all,
A few weeks ago one of my girls was on deaths door and not eating or drinking so I tried her with porridge oats to cut a long story short she loved them and so did the other two they are all as healthy and as happy as can be with no ailments  :) The trouble is they wait for their oats every morning now when they see making tea in the window in morning they run up and down the run in anticipation bearing in mind their coop is about 80ft away down the the garden they have certainly got good eyes ::) Anyway back to my question by feeding them oats every morning is this going to harm them eventually I make it with warm water and a drop of milk and crush some rich tea biscuits in with it the amount they have is just under half a small curry tub each morning any advice very much appreciated  ;)

pepsi100

Re: Porridge Oats good or bad for them???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:43 »
I can only speak for my hens ;)

They get their porrridge oats most mornings, I give it to them in a plastic food box, I just make it with water, its not sloppy, a bit stiif (if you sorta know what I mean, it sticks to the spoon)

Yes, I think they look forward to something warm on a frosty morning,

They do crowd around and there is always a kerfuffle to get their share,

I do scatter a bit of dry oats as well, gives em something to scratch around for, along with a handful of corn, they get the crusts off the bread as well (my fish get the softer bits) but its brown bread, they turned their beaks up at white bread

If they like it, look forward to it, I dont think its doing them any harm, I guess they get their mash or pellets as well  :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 12:51 »
I would stop adding the milk and biscuits as they are not good foods for chickens  ;)  So long as that is their only treat and they are eating a decent amount of layers pellets every day, I wouldn't worry too much. 

Greens are also a good healthy treat, especially over the winter when the grass isn't really growing, and keep them busy if you hang them up  :)

pepsi100

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:55 »
Greens are also a good healthy treat, especially over the winter when the grass isn't really growing, and keep them busy if you hang them up  :)

At the moment, mine are getting cabbage, cauliflower and lettuce, while they are buy one, get one free

Hang em up, gives em something to peck at, along with the pellets or mash, they should be happy chooks  ;)

splash101

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 16:13 »
You can make them a porridge using layers pellets soaked in hot water or layers mash.

I sometimes do it for them late afternoon to warm them up, although they are warm enough. I think we just think they are cold.

It is much better for them as they will still wolf it down and they are getting the correct nutrients.

I add some banana or apple or plums etc.

Definitely no milk!

cbv8

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 18:09 »
Hi All,
Thanks for all the advice ;) I will stop adding milk and biscuit's  ::) mine also have cabbage almost daily clamped in one of those spring loaded clamps that I hang on a hook in their run they peck for ages until only the stumps remain :closedeyes: they also get any fruit I can find and a handful of corn every day at around 3pm  spolit or what :)

xx
Porridge Oats

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

45 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 17:09
by stan deakin
xx
Porridge Oats

Started by Prod on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 18:08
by joyfull
xx
Can you give chookies porridge oats?

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 14:35
by Arnfields
question
bulk porridge oats for chooks?

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 12:49
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 29 queries.