Slightly nervous now

• 14 Replies

MalcW

Slightly nervous now
« on: December 18, 2013, 16:40 »
We got our plot back in July, and all we've done so far is clear it, install a second hand greenhouse, and plant a few strawberries, autumn raspberries and a gooseberry bush we were donated by a fellow plot holder.
But it's nearly the new year, and we're actually going to start growing things. It's a slightly scary prospect - what if it all goes horribly wrong? I'm hoping that if I copy what everyone else does, and ask lots of questions here, we can wing it.

m1ckz

Re: Slightly nervous now
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 16:46 »
yes  wen i started i walked round the allotment to what was growing...i copied it lol  4 yrs later i still walk around looking every morning    v gl

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 16:49 »
No, no,no. Not scary exciting.  ;) ;)

You will learn as you go, you will have successes and failures and good years and not so good.

But when you put the veg that you have grown on your plate you will experience a warm glow of satisfaction and beautiful tasty food that has been grown without chemicals.

Lots of good advice on here and you will learn the gardners prayer, well next year I will............................

Don't lose the plot. enjoy the plot and good luck ;)

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 16:59 »
this year was my first year, so much to learn about this growing malarkey.

all i would say is don't set your sights too high, what ever does do well will be a bonus. i think i set my heights far too high and when things didn't do as i hoped thought of not bothering at all.

the main things i learnt from last year was to force your self to grow little and often, rather than get carried away and do lots at once. other wise you get big gluts and waste (i bl**dy hate waste) then scarce periods.

and use micro mesh for brassicas to stop the pesky butterflies / catterpillars.

everyones so helpful and friendly on here, no matter how silly you think the question just ask and people will help you (as long as you have actually bothered having a quick search to see if the same thing has already been posted)

welcome and good luck

Robster

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 18:34 »
Malc, hugely exciting crack on.  Some things may not do well most things will and some things will be great.  You'll have so much fun.  Like Mick I walk around my neighbours Lotty's to see what's going on.  Ive got a couple of real black belts (7th danners) close to me so always pick up some knowledge or inspiration.  Have a great 2014

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 18:51 »
Having got our plot Sept 2012, I've been in your position and it's really not that bad! I just grew loads of different things and hoped for the best. I read books and scoured this forum for nuggets of info and we actually had a pretty good year. The only things that didn't work out were Cara spuds (totally worm hole ridden), strawbs (tasteless and not very many) and butternut squash (just didn't happen). Other than that everything else was more or less a success.

For me the big things were Pink Fir Apple potatoes (fab taste and good crops), sweetcorn (tastes like it used to), tomatoes (sweet, juicy and no nasty aftertaste) and carrots (no bitter aftertaste).

Grab a decent month by month book and keep it at the lotty (I have one for home and one for the lotty). It's actually not too bad until about June and then I struggled to keep up).

Enjoy it...it's really not that scary  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 19:11 »
Sounds pretty good progress to me! I spent my first year (last year) not really doing anything much to the plot because I wanted to use it as a trial run and see if I liked it. Never having grown anything before.

This place has been brilliant, a mine of information and very friendly. My best piece of advice I've had from my lovely Old Boy neighbour is 'don't ever underestimate a seed's need to grow'. Has helped me chill a lot about some things (not sweetcorn though, which I got stupidly anxious over!).  :lol:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 20:16 »
We started winging it back at the end of 2008, now we have three plots and this year harvested £2000 worth of lovely stuff from the two and a half plots in production.

We have had old boys tell us we are doing a fab job, bring on the spring i say  ;)

diospyros

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 21:20 »
People have said to me "oh however will you manage, it's going to be a lot of work for you" and hint that I'm out of the frying pan (being Beaver leader) into the fire.  To which I point out - what's the worst that can happen?  It is all too much - I GIVE IT UP!  There is a waiting list of people happy to take the plot on.  It's £27 quid down the drain.  At least the hedge is in a better state than when I took over!

blackberryjam

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 22:49 »
It can be scary at first I got my plot in January ' this year and apart from watching my grandfather many many years ago I didn't have a clue about growing vegetables myself,but other plot holders have given me some advice and this forum has helped me tremendously. I've had some good results and some bad which as been mainly due to my inexperience but I'm learning, I've enjoyed every minute and I'm now looking forward to next year  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34 »
The very worst thing that may happen is that you have a crop failure and even the best growers get them  ;)  The best thing will be the feeling you have coming home with a bag of delicious fruit or veg that you have grown yourself - no contest  :D

Copy any good ideas you read about on here and ask questions, then ask questions, then ask some more  :)  There's always loads of advice and friendly support on here  :)

blackberryjam

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 09:10 »
New Shoots right keep a note book, and don't be to eager to get sowing, that's where I went wrong had a couple of complete No shows because of it. Good luck and enjoy  ;)

Dullnote

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 11:26 »
Last year was my first year, I agree don't be too early with planting I was, then noticed thing I planted later caught up and sometimes past the early starts, no doubt  I will still plant early this coming year, too keen to get going.

Also agree keep a note, I had read this before but thought how hard can it be, now I am sitting two crop of carrots on better than other but I can not remember the type.

Also this year a note pad will let me plan out the garden ( sorry not a plot) so I can have something all the time.

The way I look at it is if nothing grows I have tried, had fun, try again , work out what went wrong at try again. As long as the sun comes up in the east each morning life is fine if not good.

A friend of mine has a plot, started last year, I have been down to visit him other plot holder eager to help me as well, listen and on board what they say, but still be keen to try things.

As my wife tells me if all goes wrong there is always Tes... 

Dullnote

chillimummy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 16:05 »
My first proper year this year too and enjoyed so much. One thing which have already done ready for next year is plan where everything will go. This year didnt really do that so bit of mix up. Lots of good advice on this forum and my plot neighbours are all lovely and helpful. The pleasure of fresh air, exercise and watching things grow (even if some are bit tiny!) is worth it.
Bit disappointing if things dont grow well (peas!) but brilliant when things do  :) 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 16:11 »
Malc, just remember that every year is different and there is always something at least that grows incredibly well, and (usually) something you wish had gone better.

Our rule is simple -- we grow what we like to eat  :D

You are very organised already and in a very good place to start in the Spring -- once the weather has warmed up  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
new and nervous

Started by greenish fingers on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 20:47
by gremlin
xx
slightly baffling!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 08:36
by starry
xx
Slightly odd garlic

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 01:54
by shokkyy
xx
A slightly different day on the plot

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 16:55
by New shoot

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 28 queries.