Difficulties dividing rhubarb

• 3 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Difficulties dividing rhubarb
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:06 »
I didn't think this would be hard and I have read various instructions, but having just tried it's not going to be as easy as I thought.

I tried to dig it up and it won't budge.  Do I dig deep all round it until I can get some movement?

Because I couldn't move it, I thought maybe I could chip off some buds to replant, but I couldn't work out which /where are the buds.  How do I identify the buds?

And thirdly, if I get that far, what is the best implement to divide it, as I'm not particularly strong?  Can I saw it?

Nobbie

Re: Difficulties dividing rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:01 »
Yes,

dig round it to start with and then you may well have to cut through the big tap root underneath with a spade if you want to move it all. If you just want to take a bit off then a spade does a good job of cutting through the root. You can usually spot the buds by giving the brown flaky stuff on top of the crown a gentle rub until you see a bit of light green, this will be a bud. I wouldn't worry about being rough with the roots as they're very tough plants.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 15:00 »
Thank you for the advice.  Rhubarb is up and divided.  Three buds (I hope) in the ground and one in a pot in the greenhouse (a forcing experiment).  If anybody is still reading this thread, can I throw the rest of the old rhubarb roots on the compost?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 15:44 »
If anybody is still reading this thread, can I throw the rest of the old rhubarb roots on the compost?
I know lots of people who have rhubarb growing from their compost heaps for that very reason! ;)
Anne

xx
Dividing mature (over 10 years old) rhubarb.

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 16:26
by JayG
xx
dividing plots

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:23
by p00rstudent
xx
dividing the garden with ??????

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 19:14
by muntjac
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 28 queries.