Dividing mature (over 10 years old) rhubarb.

• 4 Replies

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
Dividing mature (over 10 years old) rhubarb.
« on: March 01, 2014, 11:49 »
Hi,

I acquired my allotment in October and was advised by the last owner that the rhubarb needed dividing this year. Eventually found it and dug around. Was about 2 foot by 1 foot. Couldn't move it and was scratching my head a little (thinking I must of killed my plant by now - however I am assured they are survivors!) when luckily an experienced allotment holder walked by. He was kind enough to help me split it two forks back to back for each cut and we got it out. I have three large pieces and lots of 'bits'. I've left it out of ground (under some fleece) overnight and my questions are as follows:

Do I just throw the little bits of root or is there any chance they might also grow?

I've read that the need a good frost - is that after they've been re planted or should I let them get a frost out of the ground? (wasn't sure hence the fleece overnight).

The roots were a little soft (though not rotten), should I let them dry out a bit? (the position it was in gave poor drainage so I won't be planting any back there - seems to of lasted there for well over 10 years though!)

Any answers to my questions or further advise would be appreciated, I know I am a novice! Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:56 by boddy »
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Dividing mature (over 10 years old) rhubarb.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 13:59 »
Each piece you replant needs to have a bud attached to the root. The best pieces are likely to be from the outside of the plant (the middle is the oldest part and may well be a bit past it.)

Don't worry about the frost - they should already have had the necessary frost, although this winter that possibly depends on where you live (which we won't know unless you put your location in your personal forum profile.  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 14:46 »
Also, any bits that got left behind in the ground from the original root will sprout up fresh and young, so find new places for the new bits. At times, it's very hard to get rid of rhubarb  :D

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 15:36 »
Thank you. I will go and plant the pieces that show promise...and will add my location to my profile. ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 16:26 »
You're very welcome (and thanks for adding your location.)  :)

question
Mature rhubarb plants

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 07:51
by gypsy
xx
Difficulties dividing rhubarb

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 15:44
by Annen
xx
Where to buy a mature plum tree

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2014, 18:04
by Yorkie
xx
Bud grafting onto mature trees

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2018, 14:19
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 28 queries.