dividing the garden with ??????

• 41 Replies

philskin

« on: November 11, 2007, 07:19 »
hello eveyone been away a while virus got through and stopped me connecting. Well here,s the problem my veg patch is about 40 ft long and 30 ft wide I know roughly what I want to plant but my neighbour tells me that I need to put paths in to split it up , now I bought a rotavator to save on future digging and dont fancy having brick or concrete paths makes life difficult in the future . Do I really need to put in proper paths ?????  you there munty could be one for A man of your calibre    cheers everyone  phil :D  :o  :lol:
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:57 »
Laying down permanent paths can make a plot more tidy to look at particularly when empty, but not doing so gives you more freedom to customise every year how much land you devote to individual crops.  If you don't want paths then dont put them in!
 I am going to be putting in a path at the side of my 90 x 14 plot because it will make access easier for me but if I didn't have a neighbour joining on to me directly then maybe I wouldn't, I don't have them at home for the plots there.
Actually, not entirely true, i do have paths at home because I have now made some permanent beds and I do need to walk round them so paths have developed! so may a compromise and have paths round the perm beds but not the rotatiing ones?  At the end of the day it's your garden and just because your neighbour wants you to have paths doesn't mean you should!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 08:49 »
I agree with CD when she says about paths limiting flexibility of planting.
Why don't you have mud paths that are just downtrodden and then at the end of each season just dig the path over and move the path to another spot that suits your planting scheme for that year and so on each year.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:10 »
I do like a bit of flexible panting myself :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:27 »
Yes I grew with crowndale as well it's your garden do as you like, paths will be a pain with a rotavator any way, I got rid of mine on my plot when I got one it's just easier to keep going. Also think what else you could plant in the space that a path takes up. BUT the choice is yours do what's best for you.

Glad to see you back btw.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mushroom

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:57 »
paths use way too much space in my opinion, unless your plot is the full 10 rods or larger. If I must demarcate an area, I'll use those grass edging strips or pegs with orange twine.

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 10:03 »
ur plot matey ,, u want paths have em ,,,,, dont want paths dont have em ,n if anyone argues wiv ya tell em shauns coming with his handbag n he gonna bash em :wink:

:lol:
still alive /............

philskin

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 14:17 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
ur plot matey ,, u want paths have em ,,,,, dont want paths dont have em ,n if anyone argues wiv ya tell em shauns coming with his handbag n he gonna bash em :wink:

:lol:
Hello munty working hard I hope no I don,t care what the neighbour does its just that I didnt want to knacker the soil but I have got A long plank so I will use that.Its just now ive got me rotavater I want to use it free of restrictions ie no blooming paths. I have got a long plank so will use that, Munty and everyone else here,s one for you up here in kinnerley nr shropshire the wife is still picking her sweetpea,s is this a record or is anyone else still picking look forward with interest bye for now  phil   ps thank you all for your thoughts :D  :)

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 14:27 »
no its agreat idea to use a scaffold plank to do ya planting from have one meself  :wink: ,
 " werks for me "   :wink:
 n no sweetpeas here for a month .. still got runners tho grwoing well  :tongue2:

Selkie

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 15:35 »
grannyannie still has sweetpeas!

WG.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 15:42 »
I've still got some sweetpeas shivering their way through the snowy showers

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 19:32 »
I have a grass path through the middle, its gives the plot a bit of colour during the drab winter months, I use the rotovator as well and it has no problem.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

splodger

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 19:57 »
i have grass paths - and a few stoney ones - but i need paths to get around - i don't really need the extra space as much as the convenience of easy passage  :wink:

shaun

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 20:03 »
like the others say phil its down to you at the end of the day,I have 2 plots and each year 1 plot is mostly for spuds and the remainder is done in rows (apart from sweetcorn/cellery)so the paths that appear between the rows just get rotavated back in.,but i do have a paving slab path around the whole perimeter to make it look pretty  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 20:08 »
as you can sdee my plots have old established paths but i just dont worry about them when it comes to wasted areas ,i plant a whole section up for spuds etc as shaun does .

xx
dividing plots

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:23
by p00rstudent
xx
Difficulties dividing rhubarb

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 15:44
by Annen
xx
Dividing mature (over 10 years old) rhubarb.

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 16:26
by JayG
xx
THE GARDEN HAS GONE MAD!!

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:24
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 36 queries.