Burying brassica stems without composting first??

• 15 Replies

Yana

Burying brassica stems without composting first??
« on: October 21, 2013, 17:30 »
I've been clearing a brassica bed and recall watching a fellow plot holder who doesn't chop up the brassica stems (PSB, broccoli and the like) and put them in a compost bin to rot down. Instead he takes out a trench in the brassica bed and buries the stems whole and then covers the stem up and gradually works backwards burying more stems as he goes. This would seem a time-saving exercise in that you dont have to wait for the stems to rot down in the compost bin but given that I will be growing onions and root crops in the bed next year, the stems won't have rotted enough by then will they?? Won't they cause the roots to fork.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Burying brassica stems without composting first??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 17:35 »
Stick them in your bean trench.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 17:48 »
Hi DD - could this go for sweetcorn plants as well?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 18:06 »
Absolutely no reason why not.

Slice them up with a spade a bit first, no need to finely shred/chop.

Yana

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 18:28 »
Stick them in your bean trench.
What a brilliant idea DD. Thanks  :D

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 22:17 »
Thanks DD.  :D

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 22:55 »
 I don't do bean trenches anymore but I used to hold one end of a hard brassica stem atop a solid (compost corner post for eg.) - and move it along, while smashing with a lump hammer / back of a hand axe and then add into the bean trench or compost bin.

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:52 »
I dug out a couple of bean trenches last year, as a trial. Having just taken down the wigwams, I had a root around with my fork just out of interest, to see how well it had all rotted down. I couldn't find any unrotted material. This year I am burying as much stuff as I can in as many beds as possible as I have nowhere near enough compost bins for all the waste. It breaks down much faster in the ground! I have to say that the more I think about it, the more logical it seems to do this, unless you have diseased material.   :)

Yana

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 07:32 »
I dug out a couple of bean trenches last year, as a trial. Having just taken down the wigwams, I had a root around with my fork just out of interest, to see how well it had all rotted down. I couldn't find any unrotted material. This year I am burying as much stuff as I can in as many beds as possible as I have nowhere near enough compost bins for all the waste. It breaks down much faster in the ground! I have to say that the more I think about it, the more logical it seems to do this, unless you have diseased material.   :)
I guess that's why said fellow plot holder uses this method. He has three bins that are nearly always full and burying straight into the ground does seem to be less labour intensive. Not sure if this would be successful with weeds though as I thought that they would be likely to regrow if not given time to rot down completely before using them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 07:56 »
annual weeds would be fine, not the perennial weeds, like nettles, dock, bindweed and couch  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:31 »
In the interests of science ( ::)) I buried a pair of old denim jeans at the bottom of my bean trench a couple of years ago together with lots of other unrotted plant material - when excavating the same trench the following year all that was left were two brass studs and the zip!  :lol:

Not something to be tried using man-made fabrics of course (and no, my beans didn't turn blue!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:31 »
Last year I tried growing sprouts. I failed. Massive plants, lots of foliage (until the caterpillars got 'em), but no sprouts! Very thick stems too. I put them throught the garden shredder, then dug them straight in. This year, I grew King Edwards in that bed and got a massive healthy crop. :)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 11:41 »
In the interests of science ( ::)) I buried a pair of old denim jeans at the bottom of my bean trench a couple of years ago together with lots of other unrotted plant material - when excavating the same trench the following year all that was left were two brass studs and the zip!  :lol:

Not something to be tried using man-made fabrics of course (and no, my beans didn't turn blue!)

Snap, JayG.  It's a definition of 'organic', something that once grew, and the cotton in denims once grew.  Shirts, however, invariably have polyester in them these days, which is a pity, except that they're easier to iron, but I may be drifting off-topic....

Best wishes
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 11:58 »
I tried composting some holey possum angora socks. I think hell would freeze over before they even begin to rot down. Strange as I thought they'd rot very quickly

allotmentann

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 17:18 »
 :ohmy: Old jeans and socks, I wonder what else folks on here have tried! I have read to put old, natural fabrics in the compost bin. Not tried it myself. It is good to hear that it all rots down, well, perhaps not the super socks!
I have to say that personally I don't bury any weeds, not even annual ones, but I do bury calendula, nasturtiums and borage etc, so had a good crop of those everywhere I dug a trench!    :)

xx
Brassica stems...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 21:01
by DD.
xx
How do I keep brassica stems straight.

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 08:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
Composting brassica leaves

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:11
by Hey Jude
xx
composting brassica tops after club root

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 16:43
by DD.

Page created in 0.847 seconds with 38 queries.