Oca Autum care

• 7 Replies

Ema

Oca Autum care
« on: October 13, 2013, 13:45 »
Just wondered if there are any tips for getting a good harvest of Oca?

I really want the tubers for next year so don't want to do anything damaging to them.

Should I be feeding them weekly still?

would covering them in clear plastic help yield?

I've got some straw that was used for mulching my spuds would that help them at all or could it pass diseases on?

Thanks

Salmo

Re: Oca Autum care
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 15:01 »
According to this you leave them until the first frosts kill the tops and then lift them. A mulch will help to protect the tubers in the ground. Fleece may keep the frost off a bit longer.http://www.realseeds.co.uk/oca_instructions.html

Ema

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 22:59 »
thanks will see if I have any fleece left in the garage, I thought mine was a bit slow to start so really would like to get as much from it as possible

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:24 »
The tubers carry on getting bigger even after the foliage has been killed off by frost. They have a kind of reserve mechanism in the stem under the ground before the part that forms tubers.

So carry on feeding them, as building this up will help them.

I never bother fleecing mine, and start digging around the end of November most years, with the tubers lasting well in the ground (if you do not have small rodents to dig them up and munch on them of course) until at least January/ February.

They store well, with no special treatment: I just keep the ones I have dug in shallow cardboard boxes in the garage.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:59 »
The tubers carry on getting bigger even after the foliage has been killed off by frost. They have a kind of reserve mechanism in the stem under the ground before the part that forms tubers.

Yes, I learned that last year - I waited until the frost and left them while the foliage collapsed and went soggy, then lifted them up.  An amazing crop from just a small handful of tubers, but this year I think I'll wait until much later as I might have been a bit over eager to dig them up as many tubers were on the small side.

with the tubers lasting well in the ground (if you do not have small rodents to dig them up and munch on them of course) until at least January/ February

Don't forget slugs - they seemed to enjoy munching on them too

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 13:15 »
I allow them to have a small number of little blue pellets around now -- seems to help  ;)

Ema

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 19:57 »
Thanks that's very helpful, there is a rat problem on the plot at the moment but far too much sweet food around for them to bother with oca at the moment. I will put a few slug pellets down the stems do look like the have recently flopped a little in this cooler weather.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 17:59 by Ema »

Ema

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 18:06 »
I had a look at my oca today, most of the growth has been got by the frost, when I had a closer look there were a few tubers above ground which I picked, I thew a sprinkling of straw over the plants just to keep the fost off the tubers for a few weeks. Really looking forward to seeing what's under ground.

xx
Raspberries - Autum Bliss

Started by Mrs Jean Owen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 23:53
by Kristen
xx
Autum Planted Peas and Onions

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 16:45
by zazen999
xx
Autum Bliss Rasp - Question on Rotation?

Started by braders1234 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 16:23
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Garlic care?

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 13:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 28 queries.