Home-grown apples

• 22 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Home-grown apples
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 09:54 »
My Christmas Pippin was bought this year as a 2 year-old and has 6 apples on it. I gloat over them every week and I can't wait till they are ready.

Mum's got a bramley so I can relieve her of lots of them and return them in jelly-form or frozen mini-crumbles.

I also have very fond memories of scrumping when I was little - mebbe people are too used to having packaged fruit and veg? Or sticking to the varieties from the shops?

kathrose

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 15:25 »
Absolutely nothing can beat the taste of scrumped apples or pears.  I grew up very close to Birmingham city centre, a suburb.  Was lucky enough to have an orchard close by that no one seemed to own, the fruit we scrumped was amazing, logan berries, strawberries, raspberries, apples and pears.  Had to be the best taste ever, and free.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 19:34 »
I'd be thrilled to receive that
Mrs K was too - only youngest daughter was disappointed!

I bought her a new kitchen table for Winterval one year.  I had it hidden away and then heard some Agony Aunt on the radio giving men advice on what not to buy for Winterval "Nothing for the kitchen, and nothing you saw on late night TV"  :D

Happy to say that Mrs K loves that too ...

Just added toilet seat to my Yuletide wish list I bet that's not on the radio.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Jackypam

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 17:08 »
My new plot neighbour has let me have some of his apples and they are delicious eating apples - no idea what variety! :D
I'm trying to store mine overwinter using the sealing wax trick on the stalk.
Any without a stalk I'm eating now :happy:

My parents also have 3 apple trees in their garden - not that they eat many apples! So likely to have them too! :D
I've just got some Bradley's from my neighbour, and I'd like to store the undamaged ones.  What is the wax trick please?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 19:11 »
The apples must be in pristine condition - no damage, bruising or marks that might cause deterioration.
They also must have a good stem attached - no stem, can't store.

You then need some sealing wax - like they used in the olden days to seal letters - you put a good dollop over each stem to seal it an prevent any deteriorating bacteria into the apple. This also works for pears.

Wrap each apple in tissue paper to prevent them touching (which especially in pears can cause bruising) and store in a cool dark dry place. Check them regularly to make sure none have started to deteriorate for ay reason you may have missed.

Now it's the first year I've done this so I can't promise how well it works but the tip comes from a lovely seasonal tips and recipes book called 'Sloe Gin and Beeswax' by Jane Newdick.
I bought it years ago from a Nat Trusty shop - it's full of lovely seasonal hedgerow recipes ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 06:54 »
I've got that book DBG, I used it I think for the gooseberry & mint jelly I made this year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 10:06 »
It is one of my favourite books Snowy. It got me making my first marmalade :)

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 10:09 »
I have 2 apple trees in my garden, not sure on which variety they are.

Some years are better than others but they never fail to disappoint us with the quantity of apples they provide. The kids don't eat apples and there are far too many for me and hubby to eat.

We pick them as we require them and the rest we let fall to the ground for a few weeks. Then my hubby rubs his hand with glee and starts to play....

Apples are collected and sprayed with hosepipe, chucked in a bug tub, bashed to death with the end of a scaffold board, squeeze through a muslin and some contraption that he has created, bottled and left.

Hey presto home made cider!!! and its all free  :)

By the way I am 30 something and I don't care if my produce is misshaped or needs a good scrub. I have lots of friends who think they like the "good life" way of living thanks to the kirsty allsops etc of this world, but when it comes to the crunch it's supermarket bought all the way for them  :(

xx
Anyone grown these apples?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 15:07
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Favorite home grown veg

Started by Dilly Dom on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 06:24
by marcofez
xx
1st home grown salad

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 21:37
by daisy1990
xx
Home grown Gerald

Started by digger1957 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 22:47
by mkhenry

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 37 queries.