• Experienced Member
1st home grown salad
« on: May 22, 2011, 19:56 »
Iceberg lettuce
Coriander
Basil
Rocket
Cherry tomatoes (OK I had to buy those)

with a simple balsamic vinegar/ o.oil /salt / pepper dressing.

Luvverly! The wife was in agreement too...much nicer than the bleached bags of sad salad on offer in the local mozzers / tescos.

A minor victory in my war against bland overpriced supermarket food.   :D

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: 1st home grown salad
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 19:59 »
Nothing else quite compares to the taste of home grown. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 20:19 »
I now have pick and come again varieties throughout the year in an unheated conservatory.  plant a big bowl every three weeks and keeps us going!  Lots of varieties available so keeps the interest and always of course very fresh!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 20:54 »
You can't beat a few feet of lettuce seeds for cut-and-come-again.

£1.50 in Tescos for the equivalent of just one meal...

And it isn't all brown at the edges!

And limp...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 21:20 »
I never seem to get very good results from the mixed packs of salad leaf. I've tried a few different varieties and what always seems to happen is one variety within the mix will be stronger and will completely take over, and the other varieties never get the chance to grow on before being swamped. It's a shame because it would be nice to have a mix, but it never seems to work well for me.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 21:35 »
This year I have been getting good results growing three lines of salad in a mushroom box......one row of little gem, one row of red Lollo and row of Webbs...sometimes I use 1 row for rocket, or whatever I fancy for a change ;)

You can pick a mix of leaves when they are young, or later on a complete lettuce.
Just make sure to sow another box so it's ready before the 1st box runs out :)

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 21:37 »
Could I grow salad leaves in my kitchen? It's not a very light/sunny kitchen, so would they suffer?

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 21:59 »
I only recently rediscovered 'salad' having suffer years of limp, green, bitter leaves that stuck in the back of your throat as a child. My 3 cat litter trays of mixed leaves get an almost daily hair cut.

I never seem to get very good results from the mixed packs of salad leaf. .... It's a shame because it would be nice to have a mix, but it never seems to work well for me.

What mixes have you tried skokkyy ? I know MoS recommend the seed of Italy one, and I've not had any problems with the Moles mix or even the Wilko's one.

These were from the Moles mix tray I picked them to go with my cheese sandwich supper.  :tongue2:
itsnotfooditssalad.jpg
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 22:06 by Lardman »

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 22:15 »
I never seem to get very good results from the mixed packs of salad leaf. I've tried a few different varieties and what always seems to happen is one variety within the mix will be stronger and will completely take over, and the other varieties never get the chance to grow on before being swamped. It's a shame because it would be nice to have a mix, but it never seems to work well for me.

Ive gone off rocket etc and strong flavoured mixes.  Loving DT Browns red and green mix.  Really simple 2-lettuce flavour (probably boring for some) but grows v quick and keeps coming without going to seed.  Stays lovely and crisp too.

I reckon if I could only keep one veg for GYO it would be salad.  Best VFM without a doubt, easy, and infinitely better than bought.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 23:29 »
I've been practically living off my salads for the last month or so- first in the greenhouse, then on a raised bed and now in seed trays as I'm about to use the space on the bed for something else. I've not had too much trouble with one type of leaf dominating and again I've grown quite a variety. A couple of cut and come again lettuce types, a winter mix in...er winter, a herb mix and a spicy mix. All fresh, crisp and delicious. :D

I also use raw spinach in salads, pea shoots, rocket, raddishes, beetroot thinnings and chicory. I had a few lovely butterhead lettuces from the greenhouse before the Tom's took over and now I've got some little gem's going on the raised bed which should be ready soon.

Today for tea I had homemade (well, breadmaker) bread with a large handful of spicy salad leaves topped with a runny poached egg from my chooks. Gorgeous! :D

daisy1990

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 21:37 »
and yes a bowl on a kitchen windowsill is fine.  At this time of year it only takes about three weeks from sowing to have a picking.  Like most things in gardening the key is to grow what you like- I love all varieties of rocket so always have that on the go!

xx
Favorite home grown veg

Started by Dilly Dom on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 06:24
by marcofez
xx
Home-grown apples

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 10:09
by Truffle
xx
Home grown Gerald

Started by digger1957 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 22:47
by mkhenry
xx
Home grown Estamino seeds

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 26, 2020, 10:40
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.001 seconds with 38 queries.