scabs on carrots

• 11 Replies

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
scabs on carrots
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:05 »
Good morning everyone. Can someone please help with my carrot problem. I have black scabs on my carrots and the foliage has gone brown almost scorched looking. They are grown in a raised bed of top soil and horticultural sand. Now my parsnips which are in the same bed are going the same. Many thanks.

Trillium

Re: scabs on carrots
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 13:54 »
Not had direct experience with that problem (touch wood!) but there's more info HERE that could help.

Sounds like it's part of the pythium diseases and would need an 8 year rotation to clear it out.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 14:03 »
Thank you Trillium, looks like I will have to grow them in a different place next year. I havn`t got a clue how to get rid of all the soil though. Any ideas?

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 16:59 »
Are you sure it is carrot scab? Look at the link below. A photo would be helpful.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/photos/carrot-disorders-diseases.pdf

I have never seen carrot scab but it is caused by Streptomyces bacteria which also cause scab in potatoes.

I am sure there is no need to panic, just do not grow carrots in the same place more than  1 year in 3. The other disease you encourage if you grow them too often is violet root rot.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 20:27 »
Yes, look at the photos in the 2 links and do send us a photo, if you can. It can also be leaf blight, from what you say. Everybody could be right... (rarely happens amongst gardeners :lol:)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 00:35 »
Ain't that the truth, gobs   :D

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22 »
Thank you all very much for your help it is defenetly violet root rot. Will grow them in a different place next year

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 08:36 »
If it is viotet root rot you must not grow carrots/parsnips/potatoes on that soil for about 10 years. It is quite distinctive with viotet mycelia (they may look black at first glance) on the surface of the root and patches where the mycelia form thicker coverings and get into the root. It is encouraged by damp and acid conditions and growing suseptible crops too often.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:55 »
Thank you Salamo. I have grown carrots there for 4 years now, so I guess its my own fault. There is loads of soil in the bed have you got any suggestions what I can do with it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 10:32 »
You cannot sterilise the as there are no amateur products available for this purpose.

If you choose not to replace it completely, as Salmo says, you will need to avoid growing susceptible plants there - I'm not sure about the 10 year gap; two other sources I've found say at least 4 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobasidium_brebissonii
http://allotmentor.com/problems/view/violet-root-rot

Make sure you are scrupulous about hygiene - do not use equipment e.g. trowels, forks, gloves etc on the affected area and then use them on clean areas, as you will transfer the pathogens.  Ditto about walking on the soil.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 10:49 »
Looking at various sites on the web the consenus seems to be that suseptable crops should not be grown for at least 4 years. Suseptable crops are carrots, potatoes, asparagus, beet, swede, turnip, celery.

There are of course plenty of other crops you can grow, peas, beans, leafy brassicas, onions, garlic, leeks, squashes, sweet corn etc

As Yorkie says, hygiene is paramount. When you go near that bed make sure that any tools and your boots and hands are thoroughly cleaned afterwards. You may compost the leafy parts of plants and weeds but nothing with soil on it from that bed must go into the compost bin. If by any chance you have thrown infected carrots on the compost heap it would be best to dispose of the entire heap elsewhere.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 12:45 »
Thank you  Salmo and Yorkie I think I will bag the lot up and take it down the dump, just in case I get it where I shouldn`t.   :(

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 21:39
by sunshineband
xx
carrots

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 18:44
by SUTTY1
xx
Carrots -RIP.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:46
by Highfield

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 37 queries.