is there anything which kills horses tail

• 17 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
is there anything which kills horses tail
« on: September 17, 2013, 20:09 »
What is the most effective way to kill this stuff.  Is there any chemical which works.  I seem to be getting different advice.  Tried digging it out but seems to be getting worse thanks

AnneB

Re: is there anything which kills horses tail
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 20:13 »
The only thing that really works is digging and more digging.   The chemicals don't hack it long term.  There is a recent thread on this if you search the site.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 20:36 »
as Aunt Sally says...............never let it see a Sunday! Just keep hoeing it off, eventually you weaken it, but you're never totally rid of it  :(

This thread, and the link given in it - may help.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=108542.msg1220842#msg1220842

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 20:46 »
I'll say it again, never had a problem with it as ducks love it. They just nibble it off whenever it pops its head above ground and it never has a chance. :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 21:44 »
There is no sure fired chemical cure believe me I have tried them all  :) the hoe is your best answer ,won't eradicate but will control  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Christine

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 19:40 »
It even comes up through cracks in concrete and round the edges.   >:(

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 20:16 »
hi, I have this weed on one of my allotments I tried digging ,spraying ,hoeing, it does control it,but the best way is keep the ground covered over with fabric/carpet,plastic. ive grown through the black membrane  it kept the mares tail down,then remove it . :)darren
diggity dig dig

Tom Tom Mad

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 20:25 »
There is one spray that is effective on horse tail called Kurtail. This is effective I have used it and it does work. It's not cheap though at £30 a bottle mix your own. I was unsure wether you need a pa6a licence or not they never asked when I bought it from my local horti supplier.

I can vouch it does work though.

Happy tail killing

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 20:27 »
Deep root by growing success an organic weedkiller worked very well before the EU interfered and they took out the bit that worked.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 20:31 »
Kurtail is a professional product and this forum cannot recommend its use................

From Progreen
http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-Killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kibosh-0-5LT/prod_2.html
IMPORTANT NOTICE
There are legal responsibilities covering the storage and use of professional use pesticides featured on this website. These responsibilities are covered by The Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 (FEPA) and Control of Pesticide Regulations 1986 (COPR). When placing an order with us, you must confirm that you have read, understand and will comply with all FEPA and COPR regulations
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 20:47 by mumofstig »

Sparkyrog

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 20:43 »
There is one spray that is effective on horse tail called Kurtail. This is effective I have used it and it does work. It's not cheap though at £30 a bottle mix your own. I was unsure wether you need a pa6a licence or not they never asked when I bought it from my local horti supplier.

Happy tail killing
As with many current spray's this is not licensed for home use ! and although I have one "license" I do not recommend it  ! Yes you can buy spray's without a license BUT I really don't recommend it  ::)

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 20:59 »

Happy tail killing
As with many current spray's this is not licensed for home use ! and although I have one "license" I do not recommend it  ! Yes you can buy spray's without a license BUT I really don't recommend it  ::)

People on our site have used this product without a licence, and spent a lot of money doing so.   It seemed to work at first, but subsequently grew back.   Whether this was because they used it incorrectly I don't know.   What I do know is that we've had our plot 3 years.   It was riddled with the stuff.  We have dug and dug and sifted all the soil for each raised bed.   We still get the occasional bit coming through, but it now looks weedy and weak and is easily pulled up, but we are mainly horsetail free now.   Our chemical using neighbours continue to struggle with it.  Whatever you do, don't rotovate either.

allot2learn

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 21:05 »

Happy tail killing

Not wishing to descend this thread into an argument about this product, but............ we held our autumn meeting last sunday and our members asked us to purchase a weedkiller for horsetail/marestail. We voted to purchase kurtail on the advice of two of our members. One of them is a self employed gardener with all the training and certificates to use the product. The other member is a full time groundsman with a a large golf club also with all the training and qualifications in weed surpression.

The advice that I have been given is that you do not need the certificates to use the product on your own land/garden/allotment plot. You only need it to treat others gardens on a trading basis.  ie, a customer.

I have used a product called rosate 36 which is available on a well known auction site. Using two applications 10 days apart, it does work and is a sytemic weed killer. After one season my plot is about 95% free of horsetail (Marestail is an aquatic member of the same family).
I think it is up to the individual to decide, but unless you get down to the roots of this plant, and they go down 2metres, you are going to get recurring problems with it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 21:25 »
The advice that I have been given is that you do not need the certificates to use the product on your own land/garden/allotment plot.

It is illegal to sell it and then use it without a licence.

5.   No person shall sell, supply or otherwise market to the end-user a pesticide approved for agricultural use unless that person

(a)   has obtained a certificate of competence recognised by the Ministers, or

(b)   sells or supplies that pesticide under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate.

6.   (1)   In paragraphs 4 and 5 above, "pesticide approved for agricultural use" means a pesticide (other than a pesticide with methyl bromide or chloropicrin as one of its active ingredients) approved for one or more of the following uses:-

(a)   agriculture and horticulture (including amenity horticulture);

(b)   forestry;

(c)   in or near water other than for amateur, public hygiene or anti-fouling uses;

(d)   industrial herbicides, including weedkillers for use on land not intended for the production of any crop.
from CONSENTS GIVEN UNDER THE CONTROL OF PESTICIDES REGULATIONS 1986 ( found by clicking the links on the Progreen site I linked above)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 21:38 »
As I have already pointed out - this forum cannot recommend the use of professional products.
If they continue being discussed, I will have to lock the thread.

xx
EAR WIGS AND HORSES TAIL

Started by Crumbly Oldy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 22:39
by sunshineband
xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
TRANSPLANTING KILLS MY SEEDLINGS

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 22:47
by WG.
xx
Salt to kills slugs

Started by gembob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 23:01
by grumpyoldb

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 30 queries.