EAR WIGS AND HORSES TAIL

• 2 Replies

Crumbly Oldy

• I also have an energetic leisure activity
EAR WIGS AND HORSES TAIL
« on: July 18, 2010, 22:00 »
Just started growing vegetables and have some excellant Chinese cabbage which appear to be riddled with ear wigs.  What will kill them but still allow the vegetable to be eaten?  Secondly the adjoining allotment has Horse tail.  He recently rotovated to get rid of it and you can guess what has happened.  What is the best weedkiller or other to get rid of it?
Regards
Crumbly Oldy
Crumbly Oldy

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: EAR WIGS AND HORSES TAIL
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 22:33 »
The only weedkiller which is of any real assistance and legal these days is a glyphosate-based one.  Round-up & Resolva are two brand names but it is far cheaper to get unbranded equivalents, and dilute them according to packet instructions.

Marestail has a silica coating on its leaves so it will need to be bruised in some way before application of weedkiller or it will not be absorbed & therefore not of any great use.

As for earwigs, don't know of a chemical off the top of my head.  Try putting flowerpots with straw in them upside down on canes, the earwigs go into them and then you can shake them out and stamp on them.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: EAR WIGS AND HORSES TAIL
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 22:39 »
You can always try digging out every shred of marestail you can see -- if there is not too much.
Earwigs are a real nuisnace as they seem to eat anything. They do especially like damp oatmeal though, so a small saucer of that nearby will attatrct them for hand picking, and as Mumofstig says, you can get the to hide in upside down pots on stciks stuffed with straw (or damp shredded paper works too)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
is there anything which kills horses tail

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 21:54
by Yorkie
xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
Mares tail

Started by ynysmonron on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 08:27
by blackisgreen
xx
I’ve got mares tail

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 20:31
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 28 queries.