Apple Trees

• 27 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 12:40 »
Quote from: "Jaye"
I changed my mind and went for a Cox's Orange Pippin and an Egremont Russet - both bush sizes as our front garden is quite small and I don't want to put it in the back garden cos it will get bashed about by the kids.

Jaye

Cox's are meant to be difficult because of this there are lots of varieties fiesta, jupiter, jester, sunset, suntan etc which are cox like but do not have the same problems.

What rootstocks are you going to use ?

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 13:56 »
The information on pollination was from Ashridge Trees, an online nursery.

Unfortunately my hubby reckons we don't have room for trees. I completely disagree but it would appear we won't be growing any apples :(

Jaye

gobs

Apple Trees
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 15:33 »
If you not getting them, does not matter much, but however confusing their info is they do not recommend these two together, either.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 15:41 »
I'm new to all this, it's probable i misunderstood what I was reading :)

Jaye

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 17:17 »

Unfortunately my hubby reckons we don't have room for trees. I completely disagree but it would appear we won't be growing any apples :(

Jaye

Even if you grow a small rootstock like M9 ?

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2_apple_m9.htm

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 19:55 »
Quote from: "londongardener"

Jaye

Even if you grow a small rootstock like M9 ?

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2_apple_m9.htm

I agree with londongardener the dwarf rootstock trees are quite small and you can always prune

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Selkie

Apple Trees
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 19:58 »
I don't know if someone has already suggested it but how about a couple of trees trained as an espalier, up a wall?

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 13:27 »
Iwillhave to try again with a dwarf M9 at alater stage when he'snot so vehmently against it. An espalier is a good idea Rosemary - I discounted it on the basis i'm a beginner and that I might not handle training it.

Hubby's other objection (and any thoughts on this are appreciated) is that apple trees would attract a lot of wasps which was a bad thing when we have very young children.

Jaye

gobs

Apple Trees
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 13:40 »
As I always say, grow them hard! :lol:

Nikkithefoot

Apple Trees
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 19:34 »
that apple trees would attract a lot of wasps which was a bad thing when we have very young children.

I have two apple trees on M9 rootstock (discovery and golden delicious from memory), plus a cherry (morello)and plum (victoria)on St Julien rootstock (I think thats the one). My growing area is no bigger than 30ft by 30ft, which includes a greenhouse as well.

I only get a bit of a problem with wasps with the plum tree. You just need to be vigilante and pick up any fallen fruit to prevent the little beggars from being attracted.

On the plus side its great to teach the kids (I have three aged 12, 6 & 4) about the uses of bees in pollination, and not to be scared of them. We spent many hours last season looking closely at insects etc in the garden.

I think its a matter of working with the garden AND the children, its benefits IMHO far outweigh the problems (well most of the time) or perhaps I've just been lucky.

The other though for trees is the ballerina type that grow on a single stem. I know there will be many different opinions on this type of tree, personally I didn't think they were for me, but are supposed to be good in limited space or in pots. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

Whatever you decide good luck.

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 21:43 »
Hubby was pretty immovable....hoping I can do something eventually though. Wr"when the kids are a lot older ie 10 years or so in the future"

Selkie

Apple Trees
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 22:44 »
Espalier trained ones are very easy to look after, I had one in our garden in England; oh Jaye I hope your hubby changes his mind...

getur

Apple Trees
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 11:25 »
Nikkithefoot wrote:
I have two apple trees on M9 rootstock (discovery and golden delicious from memory)

They are the two varieties I'm after, but I cant find them anywhere on M9. Can you remember where you got yours from? also I'm planning on growing them as cordon. What were they pruned for when you got them?

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple trees

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 21:36
by Springlands
xx
apple trees

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:29
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Apple trees

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 01:06
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.909 seconds with 31 queries.