Apple Trees

• 27 Replies

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« on: January 03, 2008, 13:09 »
Can anyone recommend a variety of apple tree they have had success with. I am guessing I will need 2 for cross-pollination. I am not looking for massive ones as thinking of small lawned area on front garden - but not tiddly minarettes either. I am probably realistically looking for an eating apple as my eldest and my hubby will eat them like they are going out of fashion - and I tend to cook dessert apples more than cooking ones anyway as they are what is in the house. My hubby has a particular fondness for russets and what he calls "proper English apples". They had a russet apple tree as a kid and is picky!

I'm thinking of some retail therapy to help my wait (understatement) for a lottie.

Jaye

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Apple Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 13:47 »
I'm not an expert, but I'm sure you can get self pollinating types. or If there are other apple trees within 1/4 mile you should be ok with pollination as the bugs will do the work.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 14:37 »
Yes some are self fertile eg Cox but if you have other apple trees nearby they should help in pollination. If you have a look at suppliers websites or just google it then you should find info on semi dwarf root stocks (these will grow to around 8-10 feet i believe) and also which varieties are self fertile etc

CD
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

mashauk

Apple Trees
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 14:56 »
We have a small russet tree on our plot, planted by the previous owner.  He didn't prune it or protect it, but I put a grease band round it and pruned it this year, the apples are gorgeous, really old-fashioned taste, but didn't store well in the house and I think next year I'll leave them in a crate in the shed at the lottie.  They weren't massive like the ones you see in the shops, but the tree is quite small, I'd recommend one.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Apple Trees
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 15:29 »
That sound like an Egremont Russet.  (Had some whern I worked at East Malling RS)

Nice apple but does not store.

http://www.orangepippin.com/egremont-russet.htm

mashauk

Apple Trees
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 15:48 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
That sound like an Egremont Russet.  (Had some whern I worked at East Malling RS)

Nice apple but does not store.

http://www.orangepippin.com/egremont-russet.htm

That looks the same as ours, made a nice blackberry and apple pie and crumble, and a blackberry, apple and damson jam, with them though, shame they don't store well, OH kept telling me off for eating as I was picking but then we had to chuck all the ones he stored out so I was right!  Bit like my peas, they never made it home either (didn't have too many though), good job you can't eat raw spuds :lol:

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 16:16 »
Thnaks for your replies...

I've had a lookabout as suggested and followed the links and I am now considering an egremont russet and a charles ross - which should give me apples in early and mid-season, and if I am understanding the wording right would pollinate each other to produce a better crop.

Jaye

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 16:41 »
I changed my mind and went for a Cox's Orange Pippin and an Egremont Russet - both bush sizes as our front garden is quite small and I don't want to put it in the back garden cos it will get bashed about by the kids.

Jaye

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 16:46 »
without pollination the yield would be very poor indeed and most of the pollination is done by honey bees so the more you do to attract these the better.

CD

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 17:03 »
I think from what I've read the Cox and Russet will pollinate each other - hoiwever i will look at how to attract bees too :) Maybe time to get planting up my borders with dreaded flowers....

Jaye

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 17:56 »
Hi Jaye, without a pollinating insect trees that are not self fertile will not be pollinated.  Pollination is transference of pollen from the anthers (male bit)  of one compatible flower to the stigma (female bit) of a compatible flower the pollen produces a germ tube that grows down the stigma and fertilises the ovule and produces the seed or fruit.  Self fertile flowers can do this without help due to the physical arrangment of the anthers and stigma.  For others it has to be done by bees or other pollinating insects as it is very unlikely that sufficient pollen from one tree will be blown in just the right direction to land on the stigma of the flowers in another tree.

So when it says Russet and Cox will pollinate each other it means they are compatible but they still need the Bee as the intermediary or pollen courier so to speak.  You see this problem in greenhouses if no windows or doors are left open to allow insects in or wind to move the flower around (for self fertile plants), the flowers just fall off and no fruit is formed as pollination has not occurred.

Hope that helps

CD

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 22:17 »
In that case I will give some thought to attracting bees to the garden as well. I do have some flowerbeds that need something putting in as at the minute they are just full of daffodils bluebells and honeysuckle and just about nothing else. Some haven't got hineysuckle andlook rather bare once spring has gone....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Apple Trees
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 22:29 »
If you can find a Tydemans Early Worcester Jay. The are fabulous.  Ripen early and if you pick one off the tree with the early morning dew on it - BLISS  :D

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Apple Trees
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 22:32 »
Honeysuckle smells lovely, don't know if bees like it or not.  Try and get something in that flowers around the same time as fruit trees, don't ask me what though as i am no garden expert but should imagine a lot of things flower around that time

CD

gobs

Apple Trees
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 12:37 »
Quote from: "Jaye"
I think from what I've read the Cox and Russet will pollinate each other - hoiwever i will look at how to attract bees too :) Maybe time to get planting up my borders with dreaded flowers....

Jaye

Where do you get that info from, Jaye, please?

Because, what I have got puts them into diff pollination groups.

You are looking at  May flowering stuff and some early lavender could be recommended. What's your location, please?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
apple trees

Started by Redlichtie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 22:04
by Redlichtie
xx
apple trees? help!

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 22:37
by pushrod
xx
Apple Trees

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 10:04
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 37 queries.