Apple trees

• 8 Replies

Springlands

Apple trees
« on: June 19, 2013, 21:23 »
This is our first year growing apples and so far so good. We had good blossom which is now turning into embryonic fruit. I know about the June fall and have noticed it already but what I have also noticed is that there are some quite large clusters of fruit. If they grow to full size they would be very crowded.

Could someone please advise me what would be the optimal number of fruits in an individual cluster and when should I remove the extra fruits. Thank you.

grinling

Re: Apple trees
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 21:31 »
you can clip some of them off, mine yet to do june drop. this will keep a nice amount of apples... if a lot one year then the tree takes a holiday (lot less apples) the next.

stainesbloke

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 21:52 »
I'd say 2 to a cluster so they get nice and big. Cut mine last week.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 21:57 »
Thank you for the replies - now I just have to persuade OH that it is necessary.  :) May not be an easy task - if I cut them back when he is not looking I can tell him it was the June drop.  :)

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 23:39 »
You might find that the June drop is in July this year!

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:14 »
Thank you for the replies - now I just have to persuade OH that it is necessary.  :) May not be an easy task - if I cut them back when he is not looking I can tell him it was the June drop.  :)

It might help to persuade your OH if he realises that you don't really lose anything by thinning. Bob Flowerdew always says that you end up with about the same weight of fruit, it is just that it is bigger and of better quality. You also avoid damage to the trees from branches broken by the strain of a heavy crop. Plus, as Grinling said, it means that you get fruit most years instead of one year on, one year off. Mr Flowerdew explained this by saying that it takes far more out of a tree to produce the seeds/pips etc, than to just plump up a fruit with water. So, a tree producing many small fruit will be more exhausted than one producing fewer, bigger fruit. This sounds pretty logical to me, so, hard as it is to remove fruit, I think it has to be worth it. :)

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:16 »
Thank you Allotmentann - I think that it is important to get it right as this is the first year we have had the trees and we do not want to sap all their energy.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 17:57 »
Anne

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 21:36 »
Thank you Annen - that was very useful.  :)

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple trees

Started by johnboytraveler on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 12, 2007, 23:09
by muntjac
clip
Apple Trees pt2

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 12:08
by hasbeans
xx
Apple trees

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 01:06
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.