POTATOES in RAISED BEDS

• 12 Replies

jockstrop

POTATOES in RAISED BEDS
« on: August 21, 2013, 19:10 »

I got my plot March this year and have put in Raised beds, 3' x 12' my questions is, how do I get the best from a Potato crop with such a shortage of earthing up space? I would like to try Christmas TATTIES this year, is it feasible?
james@morpheus

Beetroot Queen

Re: POTATOES in RAISED BEDS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 20:06 »
We grow ours down a center line in an 8 by 3 foot bed, we just earth up as high as we can. So far each bed has produced between 35 and 40 lb per bed.

Not sure about Christmas tatties never actually had a go, we wanted too but didnt.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 22:29 »
I grew some in a 4x4ft bed. 9 seeds, three rows of three. Didn't/couldn't earth up and got as many potatoes per plant as the ones in the ordinary bed.
Anne

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 23:14 »
Not feasible to get Christmas potatoes growing them outside as the plants are VERY frost tender. You really need to grow them in containers under some sort of protection.

Even though I have a large greenhouse I still think it's a waste of time and space. We always have roasties with our Christmas dinner!

Earthing up is one of those gardening myths. As with skinning a cat there's more than one way to grow spuds.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 23:56 »
I haven't earthed mine (raised beds) but the jury's still out as I haven't harvested them yet (mostly due to bees nesting tbh). 

I did see an experiment by T&M that concluded that there was no real difference in yield by earthing, but then again, that could have been because they wanted to sell lots of potato growbags?  ::)

I've had a furtle around mine, and in future I'll earth up a bit, as I can see a few small pots which have turned green as they have been exposed to the light.  Having said that, I did plant some festival tatties in the greenhouse last year and got a fairly good crop....2 months ago... :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 00:48 »
I've grown tatties in raised beds and if the weather gets a bit nasty then bend some poly piping across the beds for a hoophouse idea and drape heavy plastic sheeting over it and tack it down somehow.

As for earthing them up, it's difficult in a raised bed so have lots of thick mulch to use instead.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:59 »
If you stick to normal spacings how about cutting a furrow and planting into the bottom of that, leaving it open until the pots have emerged, then earthing them up with the furrow ridges?

Apart from that, agree with Trllium that you can earth up with mulch instead of soil.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45 »
I know someone who now grows through weed membrane so that the potatoes don't go green and no weeding, I was thinking of giving that ago next year

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:02 »
We don't know where you are gardening (please put your location in your profile) but you'd have to be very lucky, weatherwise, to get a crop of potatoes for Christmas outside.

Covering with poly, as Trillium says, may help - but it's best to grow them in pots so they can be moved into a greenhouse when the weather gets cold.

We're in the third week of August, and we can have bad frosts in early November - even here in the South - so you've only really got about 9/10 weeks before the frost kills the tops and they stop growing.

jockstrop

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:34 »
Many thanks for all the advice, will certainly try potatoes next year.
P.S. Is it true that Allotments are ADDICTIVE???? :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52 »
If you don't mind a bit of hard work sometimes - then the answer is YES  :lol:

diospyros

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 19:49 »
I don't know about Christmas, but I used to grow potatoes in raised beds by putting them under a cardboard mulch topped up through the summer with grass cuttings.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 21:53 »
I grow potatoes in raised beds that are 1.2 m by 3.6m, in rows crosswise - four tubers per row for earlies and seconds, 3 per row for maincrops. With about 40-50cm between rows there is plenty to earth up

I haven't grown any for Christmas but my plot neighbour has - Nicola and Maris Peer - and has already earthed up the first shoots, and she will cover the haulms with fleece when frosts threaten, which in this area is around the end of October/beginning of November at the latest.

Probably too late for this year to plant, but thought it might help you to know this for next year  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
potatoes in raised beds

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 17, 2019, 09:11
by rowlandwells
xx
Potatoes in raised beds

Started by Vegpot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 16:09
by Trillium
xx
Potatoes in raised beds.

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 14:19
by Trillium
xx
Potatoes in Raised Beds.

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 15:58
by Goosegirl

Page created in 1.033 seconds with 32 queries.